Dan Wesson 1911 worth the $

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could get four if you shop good. :thumb:

ETA: As much as I jones for a really good 1911 in .45, I'm sure a G21/G30, H&K, or M&P 45 are a better option. I still have the wants though, just not the need...
10's of 1000's of dead Comies can not be wrong.lol
In today's world are 1911's very practical for EDC probably not, but I assure you there is nothing like shooting and owning one. I'm not smart enough to put it into words. It's just has to be experienced.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The quality of Dan Wesson 1911s just came up in a group I belong to and several members were very disappointed with the current production 1911s they had purchased. Notably the Duty Finish that touted as the most durable finish on the market is prone to discoloration from harsh solvents. So, basically anything you’d normally use to clean a gun is going to discolor finish, even masking tape should you desire to make off the slide prior to changing the sights.
The discoloration is clearly stated on their website. :anyone:
IMG_2414.png

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In today's world are 1911's very practical for EDC probably not, but I assure you there is nothing like shooting and owning one. I'm not smart enough to put it into words. It's just has to be experienced.
To me they just feel good in my hand and seem to point naturally.....can't see me ever not having at least one.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"...anything you’d normally use to clean a gun is going to discolor finish..." More concerning are issues with failure to feed and extraction issues due to poor extractor fit/tension. Also, mentioned were sights not calibrated correctly, slides hanging up on the disconnector, and trouble getting optics mounting plates. They experienced generally poor customer support when these issues were brought to the attention of DW customer service."
The owners manual indicates "solvents can discolor your Duty Finish. Kroil is recommended and Duty Finish safe. Oil based cleaner (polymer safe) for the rest of the gun...High quality gun oil such as FP-10, Militec-1, Mil-Comm TW25B Grease, Weapon Shield."

I don't buy huge containers of cleaner or oils, so I don't mind at all using the same cleaner/oil that I bought for my DW for other guns I own. Figure if it works for DW, it should work for everything else too. And it simplifies my life, as there is no longer that nagging thought that "what about the new magic cleaner/oil I just heard about that lasts for 10 years, guarantees 1/2" groups at 50 yards and smells so good that my wife will want to use it as perfume and a skin softener."

I don't use optics on my handguns, so I'm not concerned with optic mounting issues. My sights were just fine out of the box, and in 15 months I have not experienced any major issues regarding feed/extraction issues that wasn't probably ammo related, or my slide hanging up. Consequently, I've not felt the need to contact customer service. I like my Valor.

I've also seen lots of hand-wringing and groans on CZ/DW sites ever since CZ acquired DW, and now Colt, and now Seiller Bellot.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The quality of Dan Wesson 1911s just came up in a group I belong to and several members were very disappointed with the current production 1911s they had purchased. Notably the Duty Finish that touted as the most durable finish on the market is prone to discoloration from harsh solvents. So, basically anything you’d normally use to clean a gun is going to discolor finish, even masking tape should you desire to make off the slide prior to changing the sights. More concerning are issues with failure to feed and extraction issues due to poor extractor fit/tension. Also, mentioned were sights not calibrated correctly, slides hanging up on the disconnector, and trouble getting optics mounting plates. They experienced generally poor customer support when these issues were brought to the attention of DW customer service.

You’d be wise to note that CZ-USA/COLT/Dan Wesson have all been merged together within the past few years and there are many complaints about all three companies cropping up. Word is that the once great management of CZ-USA was replaced by the management team from Colt. Not good by the estimate of many. I think there was hope that the good of DW would rub off on Colt and improve the quality of Colt’s 1911 product, this doesn’t seem to be case. Sad because I do believe the positive experiences by many here have had with DW 1911s are sincere.

The management thing doesn't even make sense. Last fall I heard it was the other way around. In which I imagine quite a bit of this is internet lore anyways.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The discoloration is clearly stated on their website. :anyone:
View attachment 455023

It’s not that they hide that discoloration happens on the website, but they must not add a disclaimer when you purchase a model with the Duty Coat. It’s good it’s in the owner’s manual because @Reedman you are the first person who’s admitted to reading the manual. The people that have mentioned it seem really disappointed that the most durable finish available discolors if you use the wrong solvent. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch for people to believe that the meaning of durable includes against solvents. Kroil isn’t exactly one of those products you run down to your local store to buy, and lots of people use cheap stuff like brake cleaner on their firearms or, just might plain forget and grab the wrong product. It happens. Also, feeding and extraction issues being blamed on ammo is suspect. Since you don’t elaborate on what specific malfunctions or ammunition you were using, I’m going to say that there’s at least a chance that your Valor does have issues that go beyond the ammo. You experience is no more or less valid than that of others who have also purchased Dan Wesson 1911s. I’m glad you are happy with your Valor. @JD8 no doubt there is much rumor and conjecture out there. It does appear that there have been changes to the organization and it’s probably just going through the pains of reorganization, consolidation of products, and elimination of products that are not profitable.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a SA TRP that's has had some nice trigger work done on it and a custom from an unknown builder that did his rendition of a Pachmayer Special on a Caspian Frame and slide that is actually pretty well done. Also a standard SA Mil-Spec. I also have a STI Trojan 9mm that was worked over by Eddie Garcia himself.

So I'm fully aware how they shoot, but I still want an upper end 1911 from Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, etc.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...but they must not add a disclaimer when you purchase a model with the Duty Coat. It’s good it’s in the owner’s manual because @Reedman you are the first person who’s admitted to reading the manual. The people that have mentioned it seem really disappointed that the most durable finish available discolors if you use the wrong solvent.
I guess I am old school. Like I tell my students, "Read the directions first," because they might find some unique information there. This subject of cleaners has also been discussed extensively on other Forums such as 1911, where a DW employee has also brought it up.
Kroil isn’t exactly one of those products you run down to your local store to buy...
That's why I bought mine on Amaze-On.
Also, feeding and extraction issues being blamed on ammo is suspect. Since you don’t elaborate on what specific malfunctions or ammunition you were using, I’m going to say that there’s at least a chance that your Valor does have issues that go beyond the ammo.
It is tremendous that you can diagnose a problem with my Valor with as little information as you were given--other than having a preconceived notion that others on a forum voiced some concerns. Apparently you have no first-hand knowledge. With a bit of liberty taken, as the Queen uttered in Hamlet, "The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks."