Dangerous to shoot??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThipNim

New to the site!
Reaction score
Walking out into the woods and heard a loud “ping!”
Small part of my crossbow limb snapped and separated.
Still walked out and sat ( no deer, thunderbird has been overrun with pigs)
Kept the bow away from my body and all then let it down gently with the pull rope instead of shooting.

**** time of the year for it to happen. May got buy a new bow, but anyone have advice?
Should I just tape it up and forget about it, or am I likely to end up like Kentucky Ballistics?
These things are tight!
Thanks for any insight
4C6A68A7-CC34-498F-A400-16B23E13E92C.jpeg
DA14F1A1-F83A-42FE-93B6-23F58F5E8E91.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting story, thanks for posting it, ThipNim. Sorry to hear your crossbow broke. Don’t have any helpful advice other than agreeing it’s time to buy a new one. Brought back a memory of a compound crossbow breaking during the launch of a bolt in practice. Guy named Brian and his dad ran a reloading supply shop back in the 1980’s here in Tulsa. He custom cut and assembled some field point practice arrows for me to use on my pawn shop bought recurve bow. He said he and a buddy were firing a compound crossbow in his shop during a slow business day when he got a big surprise. The bow broke violently in his hands, while aiming it, holding the thing close to his face. Mercifully, he wasn’t injured. Caused me to wonder about the longevity of the component parts of compound bows, crossbows. How long can the parts, bowstring, cams, pulleys, bow limbs hold up being strung year after year? Perhaps a reason I just stuck with a recurve bow that I could unstring (destring?) Although admitting I admire the strength and speed of compounds.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be emailing Barnett with a photo and what happened. Never know they may stand behind it with replacement limbs or better yet replace the crossbow. At least you will get to see if they stand behind there products, if not go with a different brand next time.
I did that with Mathews Compound bows years ago, on a split limb bow. One limb seemed weaker than the other half, sent pictures (you could noticeably see it torquing to one side)they were besides theirselves trying to make it right. They emailed me a return label, overnight back to them. Replaced all limbs new cables and strings and had it back to me in 5 days from the time it was shipped.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not like to hold things in my hands in tension that are likely to come apart.
I had a compound bow break while it was laying in the back seat of my Geo Metro.

I thought someone was shooting a a shotgun at me as I was driving out of the hunt area.
I got back to camp and got the bow out of the back seat and seen it busted a limb and the rear plastic door panel area had a huge hole in the plastic that you could fit a football through.

Respect was given to those things.
That one was a Hoyt

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You were the one that said "I can’t speak for a compound though." That seems to imply you thought it was a compound bow. You're right though - you can be an azzhole.
My Excaliburs are recurve crossbows, and it’s my fault for ASSuming y’all knew at least a little bit about crossbows. :rolleyes2

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Excaliburs are recurve crossbows, and it’s my fault for ASSuming y’all knew at least a little bit about crossbows. :rolleyes2
I stated that I couldn't comment on a crossbow(implies I have a limited knowledge which you obviously picked up on). When I see the word 'compound' by itself, I immediately think of a hand drawn bow. Same with 'recurve'. When you see 'compound', you think of a compound crossbow. It's just what we're both familiar with hearing. I'll be sure to not comment on crossbow questions and leave that to the ASSperts oh I mean experts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom