DDR3L-1600 UDIMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm speaking in tongues...I have no clue what this means. I know some of you do.

I have a Lenovo H530 desktop with 2 slots of memory; 2 and a 4 GB. Intel Series 8 chipset. I don't know what any of this means, just retyping what pops up after running a memory test on my computer.

Should I increase memory? It says it can go up to 16 and I am currently at 6. Is it worth the money to increase, will I be able to tell?

If so, where is the best site to buy?

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you play newer games or do lots of audio and video processing, no real need to go to 16Gb.

I would bet you will notice a modest performance increase if you go up to 8 or 16Gb. What processor and version of windows are you running?

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you play newer games or do lots of audio and video processing, no real need to go to 16Gb.

I would bet you will notice a modest performance increase if you go up to 8 or 16Gb. What processor and version of windows are you running?

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.4GHz

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What version of the OS are your running, 32 bit or 64 bit?
If 32 bit then the OS can't use all of what you have installed. Only with a 64 bit OS would adding more RAM be useful.

That said, for general use what you have is fine.

If you aren't running an ssd making that upgrade would be a much more substantial upgrade.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct. Go to Control Panel and click on "System & Security". Under "System", click on "View Amount of RAM and Processor Speed"

There it will tell you what version of Windows, 64-bit or 32-bit.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roger what Commander Keen said. You need the 64-bit version to access more than 4Gb of RAM.

I have an older laptop and adding an SSD made a huge difference in performance.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, couple things first, if the system shipped with 6GB of ram then it's a 64bit OS. That problem is solved. If you or someone else added ram (not likely is my guess) then you can click on start and in the search box and type "system" and press enter. From there you should get a list and at some point it will say "System Type" if it says something to the effect of x64 based it's 64 bit but in all likelihood it should be 64bit. Most manufacturer's started just installing 64bit on all systems as it's easier to deal with and most have at least if not more than 4GB of ram from the factory.

Second it depends on what you are doing with it. If all you are doing is web browsing and a few other things with one program open at a time it likely will not do much good to just add more ram. What will help is ditching that 2GB stick and getting a second 4GB stick or a 4GB stick and another 2GB stick. That system will use Dual Channel memory the thing is that memory has to be installed in pairs of the same size for it to work right, with one 2 and one 4 it goes into a single channel mode.

If all you do is web browse and such a SSD will be great for speeding up the loading times of the OS and programs. Go to your start button click search and type "computer" and press enter. Look at the drive and see how much space is used. At the very least double that and that is the size SSD that you should buy minimum. Make sure you buy one that is retail so it comes with software to transfer your system to the SSD without messing with it too much unless you feel comfortable reinstalling the OS and programs.

If you are lost and don't want to deal with things and just want it done hit me up and I will work with you to get stuff ordered and going.

I buy most of my stuff through NewEgg unless I am looking to do a cheap build and willing to risk something defective. It's just easier and the cost is going to be pretty close no matter where you buy from they have always done their best to treat me right and after making over 8000 in purchases over the years they want my business. I buy for myself and helping a lot of others as well to either build, repair or upgrade their systems or networks.

Edit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226284 2gb stick
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156044 4gb stick

And for an SSD look at the Samsung 850 Evo series or 850 Pro

You may ask why two different brands on the memory as well, because they are the same speed rating on each and for the same brand you will have to get crucial and the 2GB stick is 20 bucks vs 15

You could grab anything from this list http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 601190327 600551103 600000279 600006067 600006061 and have it work as long as you remember that they need to be paired.

Full ram specs should be DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom