Decent Red-Dot sights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheap Red Dots are a tricky thing. Some like BSA or NcStar are complete junk. Some like Aimpoint and EOTech are expensive, but worth the money if you're going to use the gun in a situation in which you need the extra stuff like durability to getting knocked around, night-vision compatibility (on the models that support it), etc.

It seems as if this question comes up every so often and we started a thread a while back comparing some of the cheaper alternatives that were actually decent quality. I'm a fanboy of Primary Arms - they've done me right and I own (and have owned) several of their optics - they work like they are supposed to and they are actually weapons-grade and not airsoft-quality (like many of the other cheaper options out there).

My next choice (on a budget) would be the Vortex Strikefire or Sparc - both are good optics at a nice price.

Check out this thread:
http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?97677-The-official-quality-budget-AR-optics-thread&

Oh, and that moving dot - its doing what its supposed to do - that's why holographic or red-dot optics are preferred over etched reticles - you just put the dot over the target and the boolit follows - no matter where in the optic the dot is (if your red-dot isn't doing that, then throw it in the trash and get a better one :D ).

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Beretta CX4 9mm carbine and have had a Burris FastFire on it for about a year and have been happy with it so far.

I bought a Primary Arms red dot during the group buy on here for my first AR. I was initially pretty happy with it until I shot my first match. On the second stage, the red dot began to randomly disappear and one of the flip covers fell off. Live and learn I guess. I just bought an Aimpoint and will hopefully get to try it out this weekend at the Oil Capital match.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and that moving dot - its doing what its supposed to do - that's why holographic or red-dot optics are preferred over etched reticles - you just put the dot over the target and the boolit follows - no matter where in the optic the dot is (if your red-dot isn't doing that, then throw it in the trash and get a better one :D ).

Yeah, the dot appearing to move is normal, but all red dots do not all follow the principal of "where the dot is, the bullet goes". While the dot appears to move, it still stays as close to 'on target' as possible.

That was what I'm referring to in regards to parallax...some sights exhibit more, some less. The higher quality sights like Aimpoint and EoTech are known for less error.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Beretta CX4 9mm carbine and have had a Burris FastFire on it for about a year and have been happy with it so far.

I bought a Primary Arms red dot during the group buy on here for my first AR. I was initially pretty happy with it until I shot my first match. On the second stage, the red dot began to randomly disappear and one of the flip covers fell off. Live and learn I guess. I just bought an Aimpoint and will hopefully get to try it out this weekend at the Oil Capital match.

Hmmm - several have made it through multiple classes and matches (talking thousands of rounds not just 100 or so). Give them a call or email them and they will take care of you - they've got great customer service and usually make things more than right.

SMS said:
Yeah, the dot appearing to move is normal, but all red dots do not all follow the principal of "where the dot is, the bullet goes". While the dot appears to move, it still stays as close to 'on target' as possible.

That was what I'm referring to in regards to parallax...some sights exhibit more, some less. The higher quality sights like Aimpoint and EoTech are known for less error.

Sorry man - wasn't trying to contradict your post at all. I agree 100% - there is a limit to zero parallax (and the really cheaper optics may not have nearly as much as the higher end stuff for sure).

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No worries...just wanted to keep it clear that there are many, seperate issues with red dots; Repeatability, parallax etc...and they can be independent. A red dot can be repeatable and "hold it's zero" through use at a specific range, but still be 2" off at another range due to parallax. Etc....

makes a fella's head hurt.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try an ultra dot. Midway USA has them for about 175.00. I had one mounted to a 12 gauge 3 inch slug gun. .454 casaull and 308 ar. Held zero every time.

If you want to try an Ultra Dot, http://www.bullseyegear.com has them for $139.99 with $5.99 shipping. I've ordered most of Bullseye stuff from them with no issues. They ship pretty fast too.

I've got two Ultra Dots on pistols and think they are great, though the rings they supplied are crap. Lifetime warranty. Never used them on a rifle so YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom