Deer Harvest Numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The Oklahoman reports that deer harvest numbers are at 88,000. I believe the real numbers are more likely in line with a normal year. The online check in gets either forgotten or just not used at all.
I really liked stopping in the check station,whether I had deer or not. Talking to the other hunters over a cup of coffee and hearing about their hunt was part of the experience.
I miss the old way already. Anyone else feel the same way? Do you feel the reported numbers are accurate?

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you. I miss having hunters come in and check their kill. Especially the kids, I would always tell the kids good job and give them a high five. Im sure alot of deer are not being properly checked in/ or checked in at all.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have checked all of the ones I have taken or that were taken in my presence. It is really simple and you don't have to wait in line if its a busy weekend. Opening weekend gun season at the check station reminds me of Memorial weekend at the boat ramp. Some people have no clue what they are doing, or they are so busy trying to show off there harvest, they don't get in there and get what needs doing, done and get out of the way. I doubt online check is responsible for the lower numbers. Talking with taxidermists and processors in the area, the numbers were down this year.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more.
I also enjoyed the old way of checking. There are ways either can be abused, but the online method leaves more room for the dishonest.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the deer harvest numbers here in Delaware County were way down this year. I don't believe the online checking had anything to do with it. I didn't see 1/4 the number of bucks this year as last and everyone I know has seen and harvested fewer.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have checked all of the ones I have taken or that were taken in my presence. It is really simple and you don't have to wait in line if its a busy weekend. Opening weekend gun season at the check station reminds me of Memorial weekend at the boat ramp. Some people have no clue what they are doing, or they are so busy trying to show off there harvest, they don't get in there and get what needs doing, done and get out of the way. I doubt online check is responsible for the lower numbers. Talking with taxidermists and processors in the area, the numbers were down this year.

Exactly what I am hearing too.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the low numbers are accurate. With the substantial drought we had the last several years, fawn survival rates were lower. A lot of people on here reported not seeing near as many deer this year. Of course there are exceptions, but it seemed to be more of the rule this year. I know deer numbers were down for myself.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think those numbers are accurate. We're hearing and seeing the same things. even our local processor told us that this was one of the slowest years in recent memory. This is this is the first year we've not seen a set of twin fawns on any cameras. The drought has really taken it's toll.

It's going to take more than one good year to get the numbers back up, but they will recover.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure sounds like we need to kill more does and maybe we can get the numbers even lower. Most hunters are seeing less fawns already so killing the does is sure working.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure sounds like we need to kill more does and maybe we can get the numbers even lower. Most hunters are seeing less fawns already so killing the does is sure working.

Working good here. Deer herd here is still thriving. Seen several fawns this year. Seen several small bucks from last years fawns. Its too bad the drought hit your area so hard. I really think if the herd would have been at a healthy number, if it wouldn't have had a better chance at survival during the hard times. Something to think about anyways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom