Del City Police Officer Charged In Shooting Death Of Teen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It started in the car where there was a gun, it should have ended there.You cannot justify shooting some one running away and unarmed, they are no longer a threat.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
17167660_BG1.jpg
"minor traffic violation" After a 15 min chase.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So based on your logic, if someone shoots and kills somebody, then drops the gun and runs, the police are not justified in shooting them as they flee because they are no longer armed and no longer a direct threat to the police officer ...

That is correct. That is what I was taught in CLEET.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So based on your logic, if someone shoots and kills somebody, then drops the gun and runs, the police are not justified in shooting them as they flee because they are no longer armed and no longer a direct threat to the police officer ...

That's not my judgement it is to the best of my knowledge the law in most states.

That said justified and the law are quite often at odds. though when it comes to the police I personally would prefer that they have to meet the same standard as a citizen does to use lethal force.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not my judgement it is to the best of my knowledge the law in most states.

That said justified and the law are quite often at odds. though when it comes to the police I personally would prefer that they have to meet the same standard as a citizen does to use lethal force.

This case should have been protected by prior case law on shooting fleeing felons:

Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[1], was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This case should have been protected by prior case law on shooting fleeing felons:

Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[1], was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

Which is what the officer testified to, that he did not know if the suspect had another weapon and felt the need to stop him.

IMO this was about race and nothing more, again, that's my opinion.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't think he was able to prove that he had the probable cause needed to support the justification to shoot a fleeing suspect.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't think he was able to prove that he had the probable cause needed to support the justification to shoot a fleeing suspect.

Bingo. And expert witnesses strung him up for poor judgment. Jury saw that as well it seems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom