Do you care?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Up to 5%

Really the benefits aren't that spectacular. FERS (our retirement) payout comes out to about what you'd get from social security, and we have to pay into that too, it's not a freebie. Plus our salaries are about 20% less than the same job in the private sector. They pay about half of our insurance premiums.

Really the only *bonus* for being a fed. employee is the schedule. I've only had do maybe 40 hours of overtime in 5 years.

If it were really so bad there wouldn'tbe so many fed employees. Must either be a decent gig or at least a bunch that don't want to do what it takes to compete in the private sector

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were really so bad there wouldn'tbe so many fed employees. Must either be a decent gig or at least a bunch that don't want to do what it takes to compete in the private sector

1) I'm not saying it's terrible, just saying that the image that everyone appears to have in their minds of federal workers sitting on their ass picking their nose and raking in the cash and benefits is a bunch of BS

2) There's jobs that just can't been done in the private sector, and we get to work on some really cool stuff, and routinely get the job done for millions less than the contractors bid.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever bennies we may or may not get are not the issue. They are good, and we are grateful for them, but none of us are getting rich off of them. If you want the same, then try to get hired. Otherwise, the class envy bullsh$t is just that, bullsh$t.

I, and the other guys I work with, work our a$$es off for our hourly wage and benefits.

Do we have sloth and waste? Yup. But that sloth and waste does not reflect on the entire work force and it is not exclusive to public service. I've seen plenty of sloth and waste in the private sector too.

We work for the government, and believe it or not, for the American people (Yes, some of us still believe in the idea of real public service, so you are talking out your a$$ jcizzle). We are not THE government.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever bennies we may or may not get are not the issue. They are good, and we are grateful for them, but none of us are getting rich off of them. If you want the same, then try to get hired. Otherwise, the class envy bullsh$t is just that, bullsh$t.

I, and the other guys I work with, work our a$$es off for our hourly wage and benefits.

Do we have sloth and waste? Yup. But that sloth and waste does not reflect on the entire work force and it is not exclusive to public service. I've seen plenty of sloth and waste in the private sector too.

We work for the government, and believe it or not, for the American people (Yes, some of us still believe in the idea of real public service, so you are talking out your a$$ jcizzle). We are not THE government.

Well said sir.

Yellow109r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well said

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were really so bad there wouldn't be so many fed employees. Must either be a decent gig or at least a bunch that don't want to do what it takes to compete in the private sector

You may be a %&$# in real life, but there's no need to be one on these forums.

None of us "created" these jobs for ourselves. They were advertised, we applied for them, then got hired. Same thing the private sector does, right?

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am personally glad to see it come about. The sequester was designed to get these politicians and agencies to act, and they did nothing. Planned spending? How can you plan on what you're going to spend if you don't have a budget? This is a 2% cut overall. That's the same hit we all took at the beginning of this year. The elitists in Washington do not know how to live within their means, and they believe it's okay to take more from the makers in this country who are becoming fewer and fewer.

The company I work for just got hit with budget cuts, and they laid off a percentage of the workforce. It's a hazard at any job that we all have to deal with. If we don't like it, we have to look elsewhere. Government jobs are no more sacred than those in private industry, and there are layoffs, hour reductions, and furloughs going on all around you every day. Look at the unemployment rate and you can see it. It's only because it's been so long coming that it will be this drastic, and the powers that be want to insight panic.

There needs not be a furlough, but with the inherent inability to manage money within Washington that's what you get. Instead of cutting spending in other places, they cut hours. I'm personally glad I left the government sector when I had the chance.

For those of you who do get furloughed, or worse fired, I empathize. I hope that this is something you feel strongly enough about that it causes you to talk to your bosses and the powers that be about fixing. Also remember this at the polls. If you don't like what your reps are doing vote them out, but if you do like them, support them. Better yet, get involved and affect change.

Yellow109r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am personally glad to see it come about. The sequester was designed to get these politicians and agencies to act, and they did nothing. Planned spending? How can you plan on what you're going to spend if you don't have a budget? This is a 2% cut overall. That's the same hit we all took at the beginning of this year. The elitists in Washington do not know how to live within their means, and they believe it's okay to take more from the makers in this country who are becoming fewer and fewer.

The company I work for just got hit with budget cuts, and they laid off a percentage of the workforce. It's a hazard at any job that we all have to deal with. If we don't like it, we have to look elsewhere. Government jobs are no more sacred than those in private industry, and there are layoffs, hour reductions, and furloughs going on all around you every day. Look at the unemployment rate and you can see it. It's only because it's been so long coming that it will be this drastic, and the powers that be want to insight panic.

There needs not be a furlough, but with the inherent inability to manage money within Washington that's what you get. Instead of cutting spending in other places, they cut hours. I'm personally glad I left the government sector when I had the chance.

For those of you who do get furloughed, or worse fired, I empathize. I hope that this is something you feel strongly enough about that it causes you to talk to your bosses and the powers that be about fixing. Also remember this at the polls. If you don't like what your reps are doing vote them out, but if you do like them, support them. Better yet, get involved and affect change.

Our BOSS and or DOD has nothing to due with the cut its the senators and president
Also this will affect FAA so hope no one plans on flighting it will affect that also
And all the goods that have to be moved by air prices go up this AFFECTS EVERYONE in some way or another u just may not know how much until in happens
Aslo affects the countries safety wow who cares about that anyway we are all just lazy and do nothing must be all the private jobs that manage weapon systems and intel each day
Thanks for clearing that up for me

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If private companies have waste the public isn'tforced to pay for it. That's a HUGE difference

Latest posts

Top Bottom