Do you give money to "homeless" vagrants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charities only for me ! This is what ruined it for me . Walking into a gas station and a guy sitting outside with a dog and said he just needed money to buy dog food so I told him just a min and went in and bought a turkey sandwich, bag of chips, coke and some dog food brought it out and he said what hell is this and threw the sandwich in the trash. I said a few words to him and walked off and that would be the last time I ever try to help the homeless personally.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No way. I see the same guy on the corner of I240 and Shields almost every day. He is there a lot more regular than people who have a real job. I stopped the other day at the light on my bike. He said "hey brother". I said "I'm not your brother, my brother is at work". I'm sure this guy and many others are scammers. Their God Bless You signs don't work with me.

WWB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were several panhandlers in downtown Tulsa when I worked there in the 70s. I always offered to buy them lunch but would not give them cash. Never had a taker for the food offer. In south Tulsa it seems like they are almost always stationed within walking distance to a liquor store.

J

Jckellison

I've been known to buy an extra hamburger to hand out, but I never give cash.

I'll give to valid charities too, and donate more time than
I do cash... Mainly because somany "charities" invest more in asking for more money than they do helping others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never do.

There was a story on the local news a few years ago about how either the city or a private company put together coupon books that had vouchers for free meals, transportation, toiletries, etc, the same thing the homeless claim to need money for. The public could buy these for $xx/each and donate to the homeless. So the news station purchased like 100 of these and started giving them to random homeless people. I can't remember the exact percentages, but a majority of the homeless refused to even accept these (say less than 20%) and of those successfully handed out, it was estimated that less than 10% of the coupons were redeemed.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not me. GC works hard for his money. Same reason I don't tip for crappy service. You want something "extra" from me you are gonna have to work for it. Go ahead and try to tell me you are "entitled". Only person "entitled" to GC's money is ME ... and I guarandamtee you I work HARD for it! ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom