Do you have two cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny... I have a relative that we bought a bus ticket for a couple of years ago. He could not find a job after his pre-mature release from the Army and was living in the rust belt.

We got him here... he found a job... he found another job... we loaned him a car... gave him a place to stay. After a couple of months he was about a Grand up...moved out with a girl... moved back in ....back out...met another girl (at a stop light no less and moved in with her before the day was out).

For the last 2 years... about 10 jobs (all left after a squabble)... and a string of tickets, $100 junk cars, bumming rides from co workers.... he's right back to "O" like clock-work- every 4 months.

No good deed goes unpunished. I have loaned a couple of people money on the basis of "I wont loan it too you if I could'nt afford too- Pay me back if you can"... No moaning here... but never again.

I'd be more likey to give a car to someone I did not know... who really looked like they needed it than to give anything to most of the folks I know.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not to hijack the thread, but take it a step farther. If you are talking donation based on need, based on something needed to life and survive, it doesn't get much more real than what this professor asked his class about.

Class Decides Whether To Donate Professor's Kidney

Most college students write papers and read academic journals as class assignments. But how often does 5 percent of a final grade depend on deciding the fate of the professor's internal organs?

Professor Michael Taber of St. Mary's College of Maryland asked the students in his Altruism and Egoism class to decide whether he should donate a kidney.

"I was trying to come up with an exercise that would allow them to apply some of the concepts and some of the discussions that we were having in the seminar to a real issue," Taber tells NPR's Jacki Lyden.

After all, if only one kidney is required for survival, couldn't it be considered selfish to hang on to a complete pair? Is it immoral not to donate?

The otherwise theoretical discussion gets complicated when it's about a real person. "The decision to do something as intimate and personal as literally giving a part of oneself is not simply like whether or not to donate, say, even a sizable amount of money to a good cause," Taber says.

The exercise wasn't just hypothetical, either; Taber has been seriously considering donating a kidney. Even so, "I told [the class] at the beginning of the semester that I did reserve the right to not take whatever their recommendation would be," Taber says.

Turns out, Taber didn't need to hedge his bets. Contrary to his prediction, the students decided to let him keep his kidney.

"It was very clear that they believed that this would be a very good thing to do; an excellent thing to do, going above and beyond in all the usual sorts of ways we would talk about such charitable actions," Taber says. "But they felt uneasy making that recommendation to somebody they know - namely, me."

That uneasiness resulted in a less-than-decisive paper, despite the instructions to write a hard-and-fast ruling. "They were deliberately backing off what they were, in some sense, assigned to do," the professor says.

They might have copped out a little, but the students still received an A on the assignment. And Taber gets to keep his kidney - for now. He says he may revisit the question in a few years.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For LC...

Pro 6:6 "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; Consider her ways, and be wise:
Which having no chief, Overseer, or ruler,
Provideth her bread in the summer, And gathereth her food in the harvest.
How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? When wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep:
So shall thy poverty come as a robber, And thy want as an armed man."

Pro 10:4 "He becometh poor that worketh with a slack hand; But the hand of the diligent maketh rich."

2Th 3:8-13 "Neither did we eat bread for nought at any man's hand, but in labor and travail, working night and day, that we might not burden any of you:
not because we have not the right, but to make ourselves and ensample unto you, that ye should imitate us.
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, If any will not work, neither let him eat.
For we hear of some that walk among you disorderly, that work not at all, but are busybodies.
Now them that are such we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
But ye, brethren, be not weary in well-doing."

We can "be not weary in well-doing," and still NOT feed those who are too lazy to feed themselves. So refusing to give my extra car to just any Joe Blow who says he needs it is not conflicting the Bible.

Also look at 1 Tim 5, where it talks about which widows the church should support.

Like anything in life, and especially in the Bible, all things in moderation. Just as the Bible says:
Luk 22:36 "And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword."

But also:
Mar 9:50 "Salt is good: but if the salt have lost its saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace one with another."

And again:
Mat 10:34 "Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

Back on topic...
Luk 18:22 "And when Jesus heard it, he said unto him, One thing thou lackest yet: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me."

We are to be "joyful givers" and be willing to give, but that doesn't necessarily mean give to everyone who asks.
2Cr 9:7 "Let each man do according as he hath purposed in his heart: not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny... I have a relative that we bought a bus ticket for a couple of years ago. He could not find a job after his pre-mature release from the Army and was living in the rust belt.

We got him here... he found a job... he found another job... we loaned him a car... gave him a place to stay. After a couple of months he was about a Grand up...moved out with a girl... moved back in ....back out...met another girl (at a stop light no less and moved in with her before the day was out).

For the last 2 years... about 10 jobs (all left after a squabble)... and a string of tickets, $100 junk cars, bumming rides from co workers.... he's right back to "O" like clock-work- every 4 months.

No good deed goes unpunished. I have loaned a couple of people money on the basis of "I wont loan it too you if I could'nt afford too- Pay me back if you can"... No moaning here... but never again.

I'd be more likey to give a car to someone I did not know... who really looked like they needed it than to give anything to most of the folks I know.

Good Lord, ain't it the truth ... :blush:

I have had more "luck" if you want to call it that helping long-time OSA members than any other single group of people out there (including relatives). I dunno ... maybe I have gotten lucky with you guys ... or maybe I am choosing my friends better.

Whatever the reason I am more apt to help a long time member here than anywhere else on the planet.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I donated one to charity last year because I couldn't sell it and keeping insurance on it was becoming a burden(4-5 months). They auctioned it off for $500 more than I was asking... I'm sure it made someone happy.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there done that.

Gave a little commuter car that I didn't need anymore to a friend that needed it badly. Since then, he's given it to another friend who needed it badly.

I hope the chain continues until the car wears out.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crowds asked John the Baptist, “What should we do?” He said to them in reply, “Whoever has two cloaks should share with the person who has none. And whoever has food should do likewise.”

So have you given away all your pants but one pair?

To answer the question, 2 cars. No on giving one away. Why? I want to keep them. If I ever have one I don't want, maybe. Why the question?

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't ever give it away. I would loan you one for awhile. I loaned my truck to a friend last summer as the ac in here car didn't work and she has a 5 year old. I drove her car in trade i didn't care that there was no ac. People today don't appreciate things anymore. I work hard for what i have and expect others do to the same. I have said you can work off the car by working for me. Tried this with a few guys the condition was you don't get the car till the debt is paid. Most of them wouldn't finish the week. That showed me they didn't need it that bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom