Does OK still prohibit CCW over .45 caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been about 10 years since I got my CCW. Back then there was a regulation that said your CCW weapon couldn't be larger than .45 caliber. Seemed like a pointless law... did they think people were going to start carrying .50 AE Desert Eagles? And that would somehow be more deadly than a .44 Magnum?

Anyway, it has never mattered to me before but now that I have a Ruger Alaskan in .480 Ruger, I was thinking about putting it in the car/truck/SUV. There's a gun and cartridge that can fulfill a lot of different missions. But would it be illegal to do so?

1) Is it still the law?

2) Do any cops care? Would you notice or would you arrest/cite somebody over it?

3) Anybody ever hear of anybody at all ever being prosecuted for it or is this a law that is on the books but LEO's ignore it?

Thanks,

Gregg

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the cap on caliber greater than .45 is still on the books in Oklahoma. I would not advise being the test case of "what happens if I violate the statute". The statute is written very clearly.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the largest caliber that you can carry is .45, does that mean that you can carry a .44 magnum/special although it is a more powerful cartridge(slightly smaller diameter but more penetration)?

While on topic: If I remember right the law states that the weapon has to fire a "single projectile", so if you carry the Judge, I'm going to assume that it would have to be loaded with .45 long colt or a .410 slug and no "shot" type shells?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the largest caliber that you can carry is .45, does that mean that you can carry a .44 magnum/special although it is a more powerful cartridge(slightly smaller diameter but more penetration)? Yes.

While on topic: If I remember right Wrong the law states that the weapon has to fire a "single projectile", so if you carry the Judge, I'm going to assume that it would have to be loaded with .45 long colt or a .410 slug and no "shot" type shells?

TITLE 21 § 1290.6. Prohibited ammunition
PROHIBITED AMMUNITION
Any concealed handgun when carried in a manner authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, when loaded with any ammunition which is either a restricted bullet as defined by Section 1289.19 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes or is larger than .45 caliber or is otherwise prohibited by law shall be deemed a prohibited weapon for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished for a criminal offense as provided by Section 1272 of title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes or any other applicable provision of law. In addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this section, the licensee shall be subject to an administrative fine of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

TITLE 21 § 1289.19. Restricted bullet and body armor defined
RESTRICTED BULLET AND BODY ARMOR DEFINED
As used in Sections 1289.20 through 1289.22 of this title and Section 2 of this act:
1. “Restricted bullet” means a round or elongated missile with a core of less than sixty percent (60%) lead and having a fluorocarbon coating, which is designed to travel at a high velocity and is capable of penetrating body armor; and
2. “Body armor” means a vest or shirt of ten (10) plies or more of bullet resistant material as defined by the Office of Development, Testing and Dissemination, a division of the United States Department of Justice.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2010.pdf

:rtfm::Heya:

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just switch to a .450 Bushmaster round and you are still covered.

I don't think that will fit in my Alaskan!

Just another gun law that makes no sense whatsoever. I could go out and buy another Alaskan in .454 and it would be totally legal. Even though it is actually a more powerful round than .480 Ruger. But hey, the .480 has that super deadly .475" bullet! Which, of course, also limits its ability to penetrate a vest so cops should prefer it!

There are always people trying to modify and otherwise "make the law better." Do any of those proposals drop that language? Do any other states even say such a thing? Could be a surprise if you were legally carrying your handgun in OK with a permit from another state. And then discovered that your legal .480 isn't legal in this state.

Gregg

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the cap on caliber greater than .45 is still on the books in Oklahoma. I would not advise being the test case of "what happens if I violate the statute". The statute is written very clearly.

I was asking because I wanted to know if the law was still written that way. I try to stay inside the white lines.

This seems like a regulation that could be challenged as "arbitrary and capricious." It's like passing a law that says no motorcycles over 1000cc or no cars with engines that develop over 400 hp. You would have to actually show that there was a rational reason behind singling those products out. Would actually be easier with motorcycles and cars than with guns. I would like to hear the OK Attorney General explain how the .480 Ruger is somehow "more dangerous to public safety" than a .454. Or a 7.62x39 or 5.56mm fired out of an AR or AK pistol.

Gregg

Latest posts

Top Bottom