Eating Aoudad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are some nice looking rams. Pretty wary aren’t they?
These rams absolutely were not too wary. I don't believe they get hunted much on this place. They just wanted some killed because they had a dozen sheep showing up at their protein feeders at one time and draining them in a couple of weeks. At $18 per 50lb bag that gets expensive quick. I gathered most the hunters on that lease were just whitetail hunters and only shot large aoudad while deer hunting when they stumbled in.

You are correct. Pressured aoudad can be very wary!

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we used to get one or two yearly. They are excellent smoked. There was a gentleman that smoked “goat”, that’s what we called em back then, maybe Corsican ram, but also som aoudad at an Exxon service station in Llano Texas back in the mid 60’s. It was kind of salty, but it was good. We hunted down there between Llano and Castel, I believe. Anyway, it was a family trip. I remember the first time eating there, me and my dad wanted goat. Mom and my sister wanted his beef. I believe they said “Ew. Goat. We want beef.” Well guess who got to eat the beef. Mom and lil sis decided they liked the goat best, so me and dad had to eat the beef. It was funny. Such wonderful memories. Yes ladies and gentlemen. It is very good. Slow smoked it is not too tough.

Oh, also on the ones we brought back, I can remember mom backing or roasting roasts in the oven. She used a dr. Pepper in cooking in the oven. It helped in making the roast tender and gave it a sweet flavor. I think she used it like a marinade and then like basted it while cooking it, but that was a long time ago, plus a brain injury.

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot a few and I was the first guy to take meat from one after 10 years of these guys having the lease and shooting 20 plus sheep a year.

Also the first one to take meat from one at an outfitter I went on a guided hunt with.

They are good to eat. They are tough though. On that lease a guy shot a 2-3 year small ram and he didn't want the meat. I carried the back half out and the hunter took the head and cape. I grilled the tenderloins that night and the meat tasted great but it was so tough. Chewed it forever.

Got to braise it or some other type of low and slow cooking

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a few and I was the first guy to take meat from one after 10 years of these guys having the lease and shooting 20 plus sheep a year.
We were the first to keep sheep on this lease as well. God only knows how many they have shot over there years. I was like...Really? All this time and NOBODY has ever tried one?? Thats crazy to me.

Agreed tough meat. I'm gonna grind my hinds all into burger. With the flavor it has I think it will make amazing burger. Right up there with elk burger I'm guessing. Will report when I do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom