Ever wonder what a 7mm Remington Ultra Mag will do to a deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a buddy to Black Kettle for gun season. This was his first deer ever...shot by my savage 7mm with 175gr Federal blue box ammo. That is the exit hole you see in the picture.

i933.photobucket.com_albums_ad177_davs2601_6bcde337.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There are so many factors involved in exit hole shape and size: distance, angle of entry, anatomy of what was hit, bullet structure, bullet wieght, velocity, bullet shape and probably others that I'm missing. I'm sure I could take my .280AI and load it with 110gr hp's and shoot a deer at 20y and call it a deer shreader and it say it should be done away with and considered to much gun for deer. Or, I could load it with 175gr partitions and poke one at 350y, little hole in, little hole out, it runs 100y and falls over and I say to myself "that deer ran way to far after the shot and I should consider a bigger caliber". There's always that "what in the world? That bullet should not have done that", that happens every great once in a while also. Lot's of things to consider:)

Last edited:

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hunted with a 7 mag for many years not the ultra mag just 7 mag and speaking from experience a small white tail inside of 100 yrds is going to be pierced by the 7 mag. muzzle volicity is around 3100fps and I believe the ultramag is around 3700fps the mass on a small whitetail is just not great enough to allow for the bullet expansion that it would take to cause that kind of exit wound. I got a bad shot on a doe once within 100yrds, she stepped towards me right as I pulled the trigger so the bullet ran the length of her body and while she was a mess to clean the exit wound was still no bigger than a golfball.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was the shot angle like? I'm going to guess straight down. If that fast of a bullet hit the spine on entry, it would cause a lot of damage. Although I would've thought there would be more blood.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what a 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip .270 WSM does when shooting a deer that is quartering to. Thought I'd re post since everyone loved this pic so much last year.

i936.photobucket.com_albums_ad201_30BulletHoles_deer_20pictures_img_0078.jpg

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Add me to the list of skeptics. I've shot a dozen or so critters with 120 grain Ballistic Tips, at distances from 15 feet to 350 yards, and have never seen anything even close to that level of damage.

Looks like coyote dinner to me, too.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a small doe once with 300wsm and it was bad!!!! Its was going way from me at about 50 yards, i hiy high in the back. looked like someone cut it open with a chain saw, but the color is wrong in OP's post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom