Fake Moon Landings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh boy....flat earth huh??

Tell that to the late, great Eratosthenes a Greek astronomer (c. 276 -194 bc). For your info, Earth's shape is classified as an oblate spheroid or ellipsoid, instead of a true sphere or round.
Eratosthenes knew of a special well near Syene, Egypt. At noon on June 21, the longest day of the year, the sun’s rays penetrated all the way to the bottom of the well. This meant that the sun was directly overhead. Eratosthenes realized that if the sun was directly overhead in Syene, then its rays must be hitting at an angle in Alexandria, which was due north. If he could measure the angle by which the sun was off center, then he would have the clue he needed to extrapolate the size of the earth. So, at noon on June 21 in Alexandria, he took a measuring stick and captured the angle cast by its shadow.
Eratosthenes knew that the angle of the shadow was equivalent to the angle formed by the two cities and the center of the earth. So, he divided the size of that angle by 360, the number of degrees in a circle, to determine the fraction of the earth that separated the two cities. The answer was one-fiftieth. In other words, if you walked back and forth between Syene and Alexandria fifty times, then you would have walked the equivalent of the earth’s circumference.
All that remained was to measure the precise distance between the two cities. Eratosthenes hired a pacer, a professional walker trained in taking perfectly equal steps. From measurements of the pacer, Eratosthenes estimated the circumference of earth to be 24,700 miles. Today, using the same principle developed by Eratosthenes 2,000 years ago, modern instruments estimate the distance around the equator to be 24,902 miles. Pretty da*m close for a man without a calculator or a computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Don't forget Aristotle , in the 2nd or 3rd century BC knew the earth was round. He knew because whenever a lunar eclipse occurred, the shadow of the earth eclipsed the moon always as a curve, never as a straight line.

Do I really need to go on??

Cohiba

Last edited:

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Politicians have been killed but that doesn't prevent us from making politician jokes. Same with jokes about women drivers. What about the movie Airplane? Was a very funny movie. Should the fact that people have actually been killed ion plan crashes put that type of humor off limits? Should be ban the old standby jokes about passing gas in a spacesuit or submarine?

EDIT: What some do not understand is we might not be making fun of the space program. We might be making fun of the people who believe that the earth is flat and that we didn't actually land on the moon. But being as some of those folks have died as well I suppose that should be off limits also.

Michael

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MLR, I'm not upset at jokes, I love humor!!! It's just that in today's age we have people who actually believe this stuff.

I feel that as a society, we take waaay to many things for granted. In turn, meaning that in the 21st Century,
people crave Justin Beiber, Brittany Spears and Katy Perry. So much so, they look at these goobers as role models.

This in turn applies to the science field also. People take for granted the past sacrafices that scientist and researchers have given to the world.

I listen to Coast to Coast with George Nory...you know, the radio show dedicated to the paranormal. There are a few times I have to turn it off
because they are sooooo far out of reality.

I just hate it that our society equates the National Enquirer and all those trash magazines with anything real world scientific. The pyramids were built by space aliens, bat boy, aliens probed me(they wish)....'...Argh!!!!!! It drives me nuts...not to seriously, just a minor headache.

I guess reading the National Enquirer is more entertaining than Darwin's Origin of Species.

I like humor so much..here, I'm going to piss off several groups of people..Elvis fans, musicians, respect for the dead...etc.

Joke: Gee, Elvis was a great composer!! Now he's a great decomposer!!!

I really don't take life toooo seriously, I just hate to see the dumbing down of America.

Cohiba

Latest posts

Top Bottom