Farm bill ends subsidies, cuts food stamps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just asked a question. I was looking for an answer to it. I wasn't looking for hypotheticals and more questions. So, does anyone know the answer to my question?

In past farm bills there have been price floors put in. Believe they were called Loan Deficiency Payments. Interestingly, prices tended to hover around those LDP levels much like price caps keep prices right at the limit rather than fluctuating like they would in a normal business cycle.

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't farmers get the benefit of the government making sure the consumer prices of their produce don't go too low as well? Seriously, just asking.

No. All things considered China basically sets the grain markets. Just a few years ago the prices were about half of what they are now. And now they are about equal to the prices when my grandfather was farming. Make sense? I didn't think so.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool lesson. FWIW, I dont disdain comercial agriculture, its a business. The conservative side of me doesnt agree with subsidizing farms with tax dollars. As for the insurance. ...if a farmer can buy it, cool, but when things dont work out, either for the insurance company or the farmer, dont put the taxpayer on the hook.

And I agree about the "damn high risks and uncertain returns" but if ya cant make a profit, thats not really a taxpayers concern. I feel for the plight of farmers much like the plight of the small business man, but im not beholding to any particular "business" when it comes to tax money. Just makes no sense to help a farmer buy insurance for crops that might fail or helping a business buy insurance for a product that he cant sell. Thats not what tax dollars are for.

In principle I actually agree with you on this if there were not such meddling in the marketplace. But the US govt has decided it has a vested interest in a cheap food supply as hungry people are unhappy people and unhappy people overthrow govts. So in the interest of the "common good", they distribute production information from the USDA to the market traders and give them tremendous leverage over the farmer by exposing their production and using that information to stabilize prices. If the grain markets were a true free market, the end user would not know how much grain there is. They would have to raise the price they were willing to pay until the farmer were willing to sell his grain. But the way it works now is that it is public knowledge what the farmer has in his bins so the end user will wait it out until the farmer has to clear out his bin before the next harvest(kind of simplified analogy there).

Incidentally, shifting to a crop insurance based system makes all of this information much more easily monitored. Through insurance paperwork, they will have an even more accurate accounting of acres planted, past yields, and storage capacity than ever before. In a perfect world, I would love to see the USDA go away but if you think people squawk about grocery bills now, they could not handle the price increase that would occur if their food supply followed the same laws of economics as everything else. So here we are. Stuck subsidizing an industry to keep people happy and the farmer in business. Really though, you should look up what percentage of the USDA budget goes to subsidies and what percentage goes to food stamps. The subsidies are a non factor compared to the rest of the federal budget.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Guess the market thinks wheat does not need any moisture. IDK about up there but our crop is hurting for moisture right now.

Wheat.............no-till guys are ok, conventional guys need a drink desperately. Ponds going south in a hurry. All the canola looks pretty good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom