Favorite Aircraft of WWII

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Spitfire unearthed thread got me thinking about my favorite aircraft of World War II. The war produced many radical and timeless designs. It was extremely difficult narrowing it down to my top choices from each combatant country, but I gave it a shot.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_thunderboltsandlightnings.jpg

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt
My favorite U.S. aircraft of WWII was the P-47. The Jug, short for Juggernaut. It didn't have the graceful lines of the P-51, but it was big and bad. Built in greater quantities than any other US fighter, the P-47 was the heaviest single-engine WWII fighter to go into production and the first piston-powered fighter to exceed 500 mph. The 56th Fighter Group, which included legendary aces like Robert S. Johnson, Hubert Zemke, and Francis "Gabby" Gabreski, shot down 1006 German aircraft against the loss of only 128 P-47's, a kill ratio of 8-to-1 against the stiffest competition in the world. The Jug gained a reputation as a reliable and extremely tough airplane, able to take incredible amounts of damage and still return its pilot home safely. P-47s logged almost 2 million flight hours during the war, during which they were responsible for the destruction of over 7,000 enemy aircraft in the air and on the ground in the European Theater alone.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_mosquitosovertherhine.jpg

de Havilland Mosquito
The de Havilland Mosquito holds the No. 1 spot for RAF aircraft. Wicked fast with great range, it was the most versatile aircraft of the war. Its duties included missions of low-level and high-attack, day and night bomber, long-range photo-reconnaissance, mine layer, pathfinder, high-speed military transport, long-range day and night fighter, and fighter-bomber.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_winterwolves.jpg

Focke Wulf Fw 190 D9
The Focke Wulf Fw 190 series tops my list for the Luftwaffe. Kurt Tank's fighter was fast, formidable, versatile and reliable. One of the unusual features of the fighter commented on by test pilots was the fact that, at high altitude and high speed, the BMW 801 radial engine produced a pair of contrails which started immediately behind the exhaust exits and completely hid the wings. Its appearance in the skies over France in early 1941 was a rude awakening to the Allies, as it was clearly superior to any other plane. For nearly a year, until the debut of the Spitfire IX, the Fw 190 was the unmatched champion of the air war. No fewer than 40 different versions were produced, with different combinations of engines, armament, wings, systems, and roles.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_la_5.jpg

Lavochkin La-7
The top nod in the Soviet arsenal goes to the Lavochkin La-7. Tough and powerful, it proved to be a match against it's German adversaries, especially at lower altitudes. The request for this design was to build a fast, all-wooden fighter that could be mass-produced and still compete against the German Luftwaffe fighters, such as the Fw 190As and Bf 109Gs. Lavochkins were well liked by their pilots (in spite of bad takeoff and landing characteristics), and some of Russia's top aces flew them, including Ivan Kozedub, three time hero of the Soviet Union, the number one allied ace with 62 victories, all of them while flying Lavochkin fighters. He shot down 17 German aircraft, one of them being a Messerschmitt Me-262.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_fiatg55_2.jpg

Fiat G.55
The Italians made some very interesting planes. The Fiat G.55 edged out the Macchi C.202, on my list. These inline-engine fighters were powered by German Daimler-Benz DB engines - the 605A in the Fiat and the 601 series in the Macchi. The Fiat, in particular, was about the sexiest-looking plane of the war. What would you expect from the country that gave us Ferrari?

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_ki61_43.jpg

Kawasaki Ki-61
The Japanese produced some iconic aircraft, the most famous being the Mitsubishi A6M Zeke, more commonly known as the Zero. But my favorite Japanese plane is the Kawasaki Ki-61. It looked like the Japs version of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 with a bit of Macchi C.202 and P-51 thrown in. Swift and slick, it was the only in-line engined Japanese fighter of the war. The engine was a license-built Daimler Benz DB-601.

Last edited:

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind, my list was my top choice for each country - the No. 1 for the U.S., U.K., Germany, U.S.S.R., Italy and Japan. Given the option to pick the top five for the U.S. only, it would break down like this for me:
No. 1 the P-47 Thunderbolt
No. 2 the P-51 Mustang
No. 3 the F6F Hellcat
No. 4 the B-25 Mitchell
No. 5 the F4U Corsair
HM to the B-24 Liberator, B-17 Flying Fortress and P-38 Lightning

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well as far as top fave...Ill go with the "butcher bird" FW 190. Being an Air Force guy Ill have to go with the P-38...lots of guns two engines and twin tails whats not to like? I beleive the Germans nicknamed it the "twin tail devil".

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
US: P-47
England: Spitfire
Germany: Ju-87
Russia: I-16
Japan: J1N1

P-47 could take a beating, Robert Johnson had an FW-190 run out of ammo trying to shoot his down while limping home. The Ju-87 is probably my favorite out of all though. I've always wanted to build a model of one, but I can't find a kit thats to a big enough scale to make doing all the work worth the effort.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine's mostly Luftwaffe: Fw190, Ju87, Ta152, Hs129 - it would almost be easier to list the ones I don't like. But the Fw190 is my favorite.

One interesting plane that wasn't a glamorous fighter, bomber, or ground attack plane was the Fieseler Fi156 "Storch". Awesome lightweight liaison and just general duty plane. Had a stall speed (IIRC) of around 19mph, and was said to be able to hover flying into a stiff headwind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom