Favorite gun that you never shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MEH, I have collectors, and shooters. Not getting any younger, so my "investments" may have reached their shelf life and need to go on the block. I've bought a lot, and sold or traded just a couple unlike some on here that pass them through the safe like water over a dam. Its about time to reap the rewards of safe queens maybe.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an SP1 colt AR. 1975 production date. It even had the issue colt scope. It was unfired when I got it and unfired when I sold it. Never could bring myself to pull the trigger.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its about time to reap the rewards of safe queens maybe.
This is the ultimate conundrum we all face at some time or another. The selling of Arms that we are as familiar with as our children, have pampered, cleaned, bathed, spent a great deal of money on and hate to see leave the house. Once they are gone, new activities fill those slots and the money is there to enjoy them. Sell Dennis sell, my safe still has room for a few..... lol

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the ultimate conundrum we all face at some time or another. The selling of Arms that we are as familiar with as our children, have pampered, cleaned, bathed, spent a great deal of money on and hate to see leave the house. Once they are gone, new activities fill those slots and the money is there to enjoy them. Sell Dennis sell, my safe still has room for a few..... lol

Wow, lots of sentimentality here. I'm one of those people whose safes are like dams, according to Shoddy - the contents come and go in a big wave ;)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 870 clone in 12 gauge that I haven't shot in a long while. Changed out the stock to an ATI adjustable with pistol grip and shot it at the range and then it has sat in the safe or corner since. It shoots great but has one heck of a kick.

When I had surgery on my right shoulder to remove the piece of broken bone I have almost been afraid to go shoot it. If push comes to shove I will pick it up and shoot someone entering my home in a heartbeat but I just don't want to deal with any more pain than I have to. My shoulder is a lot better and has a lot less pain than it did but it still sucks to think about it and I don't want to aggravate things either. May have to learn how to shoot a shotty left handed or something.... But I have contemplated trading or selling it since I have two AR's and a couple pistols to deal with things and feel a whole lot better doing it.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of them!!! Being in college puts a damper on funds and shooting time! Class or work everyday.....only 29 more days until graduation though! The one I miss shooting the most right now is my Ruger M77 in .284 Win that was given to me by my dad for my first hunting rifle. I love shooting it, but it is becoming a safe queen too as I'm wanting to preserve its condition.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't, and haven't bought a single gun because I didn't need it for a purpose other than the collector collection that was always for investment purposes. Looking at current prices, I'll do Ok. Finally realized my kids won't want them for anything other than to sell, and the grandkids are city born and bred, knowing nothing but video games.
When I was a kid and went to the country, you couldn't get me out of the barns climbing the hay stacks finding chicken eggs and having egg fights with my sister, or out in the dairy room where shooting mice with a .22 single shot loaded with shot loads was the ultimate in fun.
Kids just don't see that as fun anymore. Can't get mine out of the house to ride the tractor, walk the woods or anything when they come visit. Roll up into a little ball in the corner of the couch and ask for the wi-fi password.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30-06 Mauser I built in 1977 from a 1 1/4" dia barrel blank and a square block of English walnut.
was my first project at Gunsmithing school.
338 win mag Mauser thumbhole in birdseye maple my second project.
458 win mag Sako French walnut third project.
Haven't shot any of those since 1982
WWII M1A1 Thompson, Bought in 85, shot 500 rounds thru it and in the safe it went.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only one that's not shot anymore would be my dads T/C Hawken Cougar 50 cal. muzzleloader. A friend bought 2 new T/C Hawken Cougars with the stainless trim back in the 80's and then week later decided to part with one. My dad bought it for 200 bucks and sighted it in for the upcoming black powder season and we discovered it was shooting 3 shot .5 MOA at 100 yds and almost all 5 shot groups under 1 MOA. After the inline M/L with optics became the norm a few years later it was put up for long term storage and hasn't been shot since. On one of my most memorable hunting trips ever, I took my dad on a lease near the Cimarron River on a doe day during a mid 80's muzzleloader season where he shot 1 of 2 does at about 60 yds from a small stand of grass we were sitting at next to a wheat field. The doe ran about a hundred yds in a full circle and dropped right where it stood seconds earlier. After ducking down and reloading the best he could for the cover, we noticed the other doe run off and stop on a uphill rise at the far end at an estimated 200-210 yds. Realizing it was legal for me to harvest the other doe and shooting in my first and only IHMSA league all summer I decided to take a shot at the doe. I set the trigger on the T/C Cougar that I have never shot before and held using a (front sight high) aiming method as I was doing with my Ruger BH 357 mag 180gr. silhouette load for the 200 yd. ram and sent the 44 cal. 240 gr. Hornady out of the T/C Hawken. The doe took a hit to the spine above the lungs and dropped instantly. My dad looked over and said DAM you hit it (I bet you couldn't do that again). I said yeah what did you think I was going to do. Walked it off to the downed animal at 212 yds. Never shot that gun again and probably never will. Maybe because I don't wont to clean it again or maybe because I'm afraid it wont live up to its legendary status. One thing is for sure if my dad was still alive shooting .5 MOA with that T/C Hawken Cougar with me, I would look over and say (I Love You Dad) bet you couldn't do that again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom