Finally close to completing my first AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, after a long wait I am finally going to be able to shoot this thing soon. I have been saving/building this little by little since last august. I recently traded a RIA tactical for a stock, bcg, ch, mbus + cash (thanks waffles). Thanks to the trade all I need to shoot is a buffer tube assembly, I ordered the A5 set up from BCM yesterday. I am planning to throw everything together as soon as the stock kit arrives.

When I picked up my lower from a member he said to use brass roll pin punches. I haven't had luck finding these locally and was wondering where you guys picked your up or if a standard punch will suffice ( I know the brass is more forgiving)?

Here's what I have so far. Once I get everything together the next additions will be some sling attachments, vickers sling and a hell of a lot of ammo. I'd like to get out there and start doing practical rifle matches eventually. Optic will probably be towards the colder part of the year due to $$ and other hobbies. I'll just throw a primary arms m4 on there until then.

DD 16" LW Midlength
DD 14.0 Lite Rail
FN BCG
BCM/VLTOR Pre-production Gunfighter CH
MBUS
Spikes Lower
Delton LPK
Vltor Modstock
Vltor A5 buffer tube kit
MOE Grip
PMAG's

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v374_claricae86_e1a255a7.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v374_claricae86_d05bea65.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v374_claricae86_d5d36850.jpg

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only shoot upside down so I figured the rear sight would work better that way.

Just kidding, thanks for the heads up. That obviously shows how green I am to the AR world. I am hoping to change that very soon. Received the tracking number on my A5 system yesterday :woohoo1:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I only shoot upside down so I figured the rear sight would work better that way.

Just kidding, thanks for the heads up. That obviously shows how green I am to the AR world. I am hoping to change that very soon. Received the tracking number on my A5 system yesterday :woohoo1:

It's all good, you gotta learn sometime right.
As far as the brass punches, you should be able to find some at Harbor freight. If not, you could order them online for just a couple bucks.

Important note: When putting in the roll pins for the trigger guard. Make sure you have a support on the opposite side of where you're putting the pin in. It's really easy to break off one of the tabs that holds the triggerguard. I found out the hard way.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the rail, but it looks hella heavy.

This coming from someone owning one with a 24" unfluted bull barrel and rifle length rail. LOL

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is definitely not heavy. The barrel is lightweight profile and the 14.0 lite rail is only about an oz heavier than the 12.0 rail that most people run. Its a little deceiving but should be very maneuverable. She sure isn't going to be as light as moe type set up but isn't a pig either, I was trying to shoot for something in the middle weight class

Latest posts

Top Bottom