Firepower vs. concealability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love the Kahr CW9 and have shot it plenty! I handled the Taurus 709 yesterday and for me I'll stick with the Kahr ( there was not enough room for my pinkie on the mag I looked at not sure if there is an extension). I have an lcp as well but prefer the CW9, unless I was jogging then the LCP.
price difference in the Kahr is because the cw9 has standard rifeling and no fancy letters on the frame!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about the steep price tags on the PPS and the magazines :tounge: That having been said, I've fired a PPS 9mm and found it to be rather nice-shooting. Pretty accurate too, and fit pretty well in my size L hands - but that goofy mag release lever will take some familiarization, I expect.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was looking for a kahr in 9mm I could not find one at the time, ran across a PF9 & bought, fit & finish is a bit of a gripe but what it will be put through I don't really mind dingging it up to much. Wish it had metal sights not too crazy on the plastic. Ran 500 rds throught mine before I carried it with no james or stopages or cleaning, just did the fluff & buff before I shot it. Now having a set of night sights put on it would be nice (may have to see if old yeller can do this somewhere down the line). Usually carry it or a smith snuby

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just as important as slim and firepower is weight and most importantly reliability.

let's take the example of a pistol that's been around for decades with ample firepower and is very concealable.

a german made walther PPK in .380 while not the most powerful round will certainly do the job with proper placement. but it's still an auto pistol, reliability will always factor in choice of ammo.

PPK is very compact, slim and will disappear on your person. but drawback is the weight. PPK's weight makes an all day CCW a chore.

fast forward to today's batch of ultra small mouse guns like P3AT.
they all certain fit the concealable, weight and firepower requirement. but they also takes more than a bit of work to make them reliable.

IMHO S&W Airlight series with titanium meets all of the above requirements. 340PD .357 exceeds firepower requirements and borderlines being painful to shoot. +P .38 is max I'd care to shoot in an ultralight pistol.

most importantly... J frame airlight pistols are dead nuts reliable with any kind of ammo. I'd rather have a .22 LR pistol that fires each and every time vs a 9mm auto that always carries a small probability of jamming.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion sonny, it sounds like you have a problem with your priorities.

Don't know (don't care) what it is you're trying to attract with your form-fitting wardrobe, but strongly suggest you think about this business of carrying your weapon a little more carefully.

If you change to clothes that fit with a little more room, you could accomodate a weapon that might actually save your life (or someone else).

At times, for summer carry, I use an S&W Model 36 or 60 with a Barami Hip Grip.

Have tried using an ankle holster with small revolvers and small autos, but I wear boots most of the the time.

I know a few that use a pocket holster with a small auto, but sounds like your pants might be way too tight for that.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have/ use a walther pps 9mm. i carry it in front pocket in a kramer pocket holster. i also have a kimber pro carry2, yes i'm better with the kimber 9mm, but i ware blue jeans i size larger to accomade the walther. weight is not a big factor, the question is why do you need 30 rounds vs 8or 9 ? and printing is always a problem but wouldn't tryst my safty to any cal lower then a 9..:haay:

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on slim pistols in 9mm or larger.

I love my G19. I shoot it well and like the idea having 31 rounds on my person in a platform that I can shoot quickly and accurately.

However, my problem is concealing it in my work clothes. I have to wear shirt & tie (tucked) every day. I have an athletic build & wear tailored/fitted shirts (hey, I'm young, fit and single). I know a good holster can do wonders, but as much as I love the GLOCK, it's an absolute brick compared to the PF-9s / snubbies that I have owned. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I want it to hide well. I should state now that I prefer appendix carry. I think the 19 is a smidge too big for appendix carry in my work get up.

So now I'm looking for single stack / slim pistols. I've stumbled upon:

• Walther PPS
  • Kel Tec PF-9
  • Taurus 709
  • Kahr PM9
  • Kahr CW9

PPS--I love the brand, hate the price tag / cost of magazines.

I'm particularly intrigued w/ the Taurus--has anyone handled one? They're all over GB now and can be had for around $375 OTD.

I've owned a couple of PF-9s. I can barely tolerate poor fit & finish, and that's just what a PF-9 is. It ain't pretty, but it would get the job done and likely be the cheapest.

PM-9. Why the price tag difference between the CW9 & PM9? I don't get it. I'm on the fence w/ the CW9. I've never seen or handled one, but they are reasonably priced.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Whatever I end up buying, I want to try a Raven concealment IWB with.

Initially I carried a Glock 36 in 45 ACP which is much slimmer than the G19. It became difficult to truly carry concealed at all times. I finally opted for pocket carry of either my S&W 642 or Kahr PM-9 ion pocket holsters. My Kahr PM-9 has been reliable, it is also remakably accurate and very slim.

Latest posts

Top Bottom