Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Ready_fire_aim that carp is good eating also.
Best way I have found to cook it is to filet it and filet the skin off.
Then cut into cubes and freeze it a bit in the freezer.
Then run it through a meat grinder with small holes.
Then run it all through again.

Now you can make "salmon" patties from it.

Pressure cook it to soften the bones like many have told me has not worked for me at all.
Bones are still poky and hard and meat fell to the bottom of the cooker and turned to baby food.

Pressure cook and pressure can are 2 completely different things and I bet those that do the carp probably pressure can it.

It is a sweet clean eating meat if it is pulled from clear water.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Ready_fire_aim that carp is good eating also.
Best way I have found to cook it is to filet it and filet the skin off.
Then cut into cubes and freeze it a bit in the freezer.
Then run it through a meat grinder with small holes.
Then run it all through again.

Now you can make "salmon" patties from it.

Pressure cook it to soften the bones like many have told me has not worked for me at all.
Bones are still poky and hard and meat fell to the bottom of the cooker and turned to baby food.

Pressure cook and pressure can are 2 completely different things and I bet those that do the carp probably pressure can it.

It is a sweet clean eating meat if it is pulled from clear water.

You pressure can carp at 11 pounds pressure for 1 hour and 40 minutes...

I "can" in pint jars.

Fillet the carp and soak in a salt water brine for 24 hours, then rinse the carp in cold clear water.

Sterilize the jars.

Put one tablespoon ketchup and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of each jar.

Pack the jars with the carp meat, and leave at least a 1/2" air space between the meat and the top of the jar.

Add the lid and canning ring, but do NOT tighten the ring! Run it down just until snug.

Run the pressure up to 11 pounds and no more, for exactly 1 hour and 40 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the pressure drop as the canner starts to cool off. Do not release the top while under pressure.

Once the canner has fully depressurised, remove the jars and place on a towel on the table. Listen for the lids to pop, indicating that the jars are sealed air tight.

With carp being canned this way, all bones will be soft are edible, just like canned salmon.

Made into patties with egg, onion, cornmeal and sliced jalapeno peppers and fried in just a little bit of bacon grease, these rival the best salmon patties out there!

You can also eat it straight out of the jar with crackers and cheese on the side. When deer hunting from sunrise to sunset, this is one of my favorite stacks to take with me.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been catching carp effectively for about 6yrs now. I’m aware that they are decent table fare. I’ve pressure canned lots of it using very similar method @Master Carper mentioned. It’s nearly identical to canned tuna and we make tuna salad sandwiches with it or salmon patty style sandwiches with it.

That being said…I normally catch enough crappie/whitebass/catfish/bluegill/etc that I don’t always feel inclined to eat the carp. I’ve used them a bunch for garden fertilizer. These 2 carp were actually kept alive and then released into a pond of my neighbors because he wanted a few in there.

I don’t waste them and dump them on the bank like bowfishermen do. I don’t release them either though… personally I believe they need to be thinned from our waters and very few people target them

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1711079081490.png

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 464464Tore up some blues this morning. ‘Bout froze in the wind, but the bite was on. Cleaned six, turned the biggest loose (25-30 lbs).

Fishing dog had a great trip.
Mind sharing your method? I have watched numerous videos and can never seem to catch cats regularly. About the only thing I can catch consistently is crappie and submerged branches.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mind sharing your method? I have watched numerous videos and can never seem to catch cats regularly. About the only thing I can catch consistently is crappie and submerged branches.
Well, right now and for the next month ought to be prime. Find a rocky bank near the main channel of your local big river. If the wind is blowing to you that’s even better. Use a few rods, big slip sinker (2-4 oz), medium circle hook. Fresh shad is best bait most of the time. Try whole ones, but I like huge ones cut in two. Also I usually have lines in the water as the sun rises.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
your local big river
Tell me your from Eastern Oklahoma without telling me you're from Eastern Oklahoma. We got the Cimarron trickle out near me. It's "big" about 4 days a year. Would be nice to have access to real rivers like you boys do. Good haul, enjoy the spring bite!

Latest posts

Top Bottom