Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over on the Firearms Chat forum there is thread titled, “What is your current bedside "go time" pick?”.

I’m seeing lots of guns pictured with or described as having flashlights attached. Rather than jack the thread I thought I would come to the Self Defense & Handgun Carry forum with a question.

Admittedly, the last time I gave much thought to this issue was in the 1990’s. At that time, I was convinced that flashlights on guns were ill advised. It was reported that folks in high stress situations couldn’t seem to resist using the flashlight as a flashlight and therefore muzzle covering all kinds of things and possibly people they did not intend to shoot.

What is the current thinking regarding flashlights on guns, especially vis-à-vis Cooper’s second rule of gun safety?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:popcorn:
1631914319136.png
1631914321127.png

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not for me. I just don't like them and I don't have a use for a weapon-mounted light. I do have a small flashlight handy. I keep various night lights around my house to provide plenty of ambient light during the night. Also has to do with not liking rails on guns, I guess. Just my preference.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better to have and not need than need and not have...my .02.

Lights have gotten so much brighter now than they were in 2000s, let alone the 90s...you can easily keep most quality modern lights at the low and ready and still illuminate a room.

I wouldnt want one on EVERYTHING, but certainly on a few!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also believe the temptation to use it as a flashlight can be a real issue. Maybe not so much inside the house, but what if you hear a prowler outside (garage, shed, whatever)?

Personally, I have no desire for a weapon mounted light.

YMMV :drunk2:
___

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have to see what you're going to shoot.

I suppose if you're never going to carry in the dark, but I don't know the future of my day.

I carry a 600 or 300 Lumen handheld light on me at all times for that very reason the OP stated. Honestly, I think of both the handheld light and weapon light as a team

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never carried a pistol with a light attached; too stuck in my ways with a handheld light. Same goes for in the home. Oh, and by the way, if you do decide to break in, be careful to avoid the motion activated lights...I'll have your soon to be shot self well lit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom