Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that I know of. I put out a fall/winter mix that a variety of seed, but I don't think it has any of that in it. It is a mix bagged by Johnson Seed Company in Enid, Oklahoma.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got some wheat ready after talking to some folks here. At the check out counter at the feed store, they had a lil bag of Winter peas, so I thought "what the heck, as long as I'm planting wheat...". But before I could hit the door, I bumped into a rack that had some of the Daikon radishes, had to try a little sack of them, just to see.

So I've got this spot in the garden where I ripped out some tomato plants, and with the possibility of a little rain coming............................I just had to plant some radishes.!

They're supposed to have tops that are good forage.

I just couldn't wait,...gotta plant something,..but just a handful.

I'll take pics if they come up...

What they're supposed to look like.

[Broken External Image]

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I planted the daikons last winter and the deer did not hit them. The daikons make good forage but we needed more cold weather last year which we did not get. Maybe winter will be colder this year only time will tell.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got some wheat ready after talking to some folks here. At the check out counter at the feed store, they had a lil bag of Winter peas, so I thought "what the heck, as long as I'm planting wheat...". But before I could hit the door, I bumped into a rack that had some of the Daikon radishes, had to try a little sack of them, just to see.

So I've got this spot in the garden where I ripped out some tomato plants, and with the possibility of a little rain coming............................I just had to plant some radishes.!

They're supposed to have tops that are good forage.

I just couldn't wait,...gotta plant something,..but just a handful.

I'll take pics if they come up...

What they're supposed to look like.

[Broken External Image]

Yup, gotta have cold weather.
The carbs have to go to sugar.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, 2.5" of rain! Let's not get all excited about the rain and want to plant something unless you want to feed all the grasshoppers. The hoppers will appreciate it though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, 2.5" of rain! Let's not get all excited about the rain and want to plant something unless you want to feed all the grasshoppers. The hoppers will appreciate it though.

Consider yourself a king! We only got .1 out of whole deal, and probably only energized our grasshoppers, at least maybe some of yours drowned:D

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how much rain at my place. But a buddy near Thomas said it rained over 2 inches in an hour. Then came in and rained a slower rain later.

The moisture will be good for working ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got a little over an inch in Ponca. Don't know what fell at the farm. I've already worked the food plots once, so the moisture should be good. If we don't get more rain, I'll work them one more time and plant next weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom