For all you other woodworkers out there!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, quite the diversity of opinions here! Thanks, all. My sister told me that the realtor who brokered the sale of the house between her and the previous owner said the latter identified the wood as… (drum roll)

Wormy chestnut

If that’s true, then the wood is pretty valuable as the source, American chestnut trees killed by the chestnut blight of the early 1900s, was pretty much used up by the middle of the century. My sister’s place was built circa 1950, but I’m not convinced that’s what this wood is, though I’ve never seen wormy chestnut before. So I’m taking a sample from an off-cut back to my shop to try planing and cutting it, and see what further clues I can turn up.
I could be convinced it was fir, but I don't think wormy chestnut.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought chestnut is hardwood?
IMG_2800.jpegIMG_2799.jpeg

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whole forests of good wood used to practically grow on trees in this country (& others).
But as time goes on, good wood becomes more scarce, hence pricey.
(This is the part of the post where I graciously refrain from mentioning the highly sought 'Morning Wood' around my fellow, primarily male, readers).
Seriously though; I've seen a few instances of people finding 'treasure troves' of rare lumber. If you doubt the value of some of these varieties, drop by 'Woodcraft, OKC' at 9301 N. May.
...Them guys are extremely 'proud' of their wood...and their tools!
But they also might be able to I D a sample of what you have.
....which reminds me: I have a large Mid Century 'headboard' (for a bed)- that contains around 10 Bd. Ft. of vintage teak. It's all complete, save for the sliding panels on the compartments. Or; it'd make great shelving. or even 100's of sets of pistol grips/knife scales. If interested, let's work something out.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 1st guess was fir, possibly some pine.
Definitely NOT wormy morning wood, or any morning wood. IF you think it is or might be wormy morning wood, best to get it checked immediately.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 1st guess was fir, possibly some pine.
Definitely NOT wormy morning wood, or any morning wood. IF you think it is or might be wormy morning wood, best to get it checked immediately.
Thanks, ha ha- I thought I'd leave that observation to someone else. I just was wondering if the pinkness in the wood indicates Cedar, as it comes in all shades like white & yellow....But like Morning Wood, it should be bug free (No worm holes!).
Does look a bit Piney to me too.
Maybe just make a coffin outta it, & like a whole bunch of other stuff we'll go to or graves never knowing, we won't know that either.
.....I better quit screwin' around & go mow the weeds.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I planed and squared off the ends of a sample of this wood, and you folks who ID’ed it as old-growth Douglas fir look like you’re right. It doesn’t have the grayish tint of chestnut, nor the pores visible in the surface of the same, and the end grain is just like that of DF. I’ll take the sample to Woodcraft, but I’m confident you DF guys are correct.

IMG_6845.jpeg
IMG_6846.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom