For some father-son pairs, hunting and fishing don't cut it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/13/father-son-team-launch-balloon-with-hd-camera-iphone-into-space/

Apparently fishing just doesn't cut it anymore.

In one of the coolest amateur science experiments NewsFeed has come across, a father-and-son team, and others from the “Brooklyn Space Program,” launched a weather balloon into the stratosphere along with an HD video camera that captured virtually the entire flight. The team placed some hand-warmers inside a specially built insulated capsule that held the camera and an iPhone, which, through its GPS capabilities, allowed the team to track it down once it landed.

The team was headed by Luke Geissbuhler and his 7-year-old son Max, who found the camera about 30 miles from the launch site in upstate New York. At its peak, the balloon reached an altitude of about 100,000 feet and battled 100-m.p.h. winds before it burst, sending the camera and iPhone hurtling back to earth at rates of 150 m.p.h. A specially designed parachute attached to the capsule eventually slowed it to about 15 m.p.h. Note to Max's school: if there's a science fair this year, give this guy the top prize.

Watch the 7-minute video: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/13...th-hd-camera-iphone-into-space/#ixzz13OmOyOwR

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen this, it sounds awesome. The links are broken for me, though.

I saw something like this a few years ago where people attached a digital camera and set it to take pics every several seconds or couple of minutes or something. Simple idea, yet so fascinating to me.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
very interesting. what a great idea, and then to make it happen. couldn't believe it fell back so close to the launch site.

fun stuff for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom