For you harley guys...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a few of you guys ride Harleys and like to know what you think.

I was at Route 66 Harley yesterday and they have this Bad a** 120R Race Crate motor in. As soon as I seen it, I wanted to pull out the plastic card and say put it in my Fatty...

The woman was with me and I know she would of killed me over that.

What I have a is a 2011 FatBoy Lo, (pic can be seen on the bike pic. page) With a 96ci. Stage One down load, Vance and Hines pipes, Stage One Intake, and a few other small mods.

I would like to go bigger.

Like I said I want the 120R but the price of that, no way. $8400 for it all out the door.

So now I am looking at the 110ci. upgrade, or the 103ci upgrade with the bigger cams.

What do you guys think about the big bore kits?

i772.photobucket.com_albums_yy6_HK_Dogg_553370_406305689381634ffdd01e487b91e2b592ed3113b9be26c.jpg

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love a 120R kit for my '02 FLSTF, since they don't make a crate motor for the older 88B motors. Even if you don't hot rod it, it works well as a big dumb motor. You can do better for less if you do the work yourself, but the 120R has really set a standard of performance, reliability and the ease of a crate motor for the $5K price.

However you go, don't forget a new clutch, Injector body, larger diameter exhaust, etc...
Harleys are addictive and expensive.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own my 43rd motorcycle at present, so have ridden a few miles, but I have never owned a Harley. I have considered a Harley many times, but I was always concerned about the lack of power like the person who started this thread with his present ride.

I think I have found an engine modification that I really think would cure my hesitation of owning an underpowered Harley. I am debating on weather to pull the trigger of finally ordering a Harley or not. Ya Know, if people who own Harley's are open to changing the motor out and still considering them "Harley's" for a little more performance, I just might be in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCTZ-wdSIU&feature=related

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, too many folks try to make that VTwin do things it was not designed to do, then they have reliability issues. My RKC was near stock with exhaust/intake and tuner, it required little maintenance and ran every time I wanted to ride while my buddies that had big motors were always wrenching and breaking. Stick with a good combination that gives you torque, cams, and porting. If you want to go real fast buy a sportbike, for $8400 you could get into something that will peg your go fast gauge.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMO, too many folks try to make that VTwin do things it was not designed to do, then they have reliability issues. My RKC was near stock with exhaust/intake and tuner, it required little maintenance and ran every time I wanted to ride while my buddies that had big motors were always wrenching and breaking. Stick with a good combination that gives you torque, cams, and porting. If you want to go real fast buy a sportbike, for $8400 you could get into something that will peg your go fast gauge.

Used Hayabusa much> than a 120R.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used Hayabusa much> than a 120R.

It's actually >>>>>>>>> 120R... :)

Not doggin' the HD, just saying, it isn't a go fast and handle good bike, it is an enjoy the ride bike.

I do understand getting caught up in the "go bigger" phase, I did it too when I had the RKC, you get on the forums and read about all of the guys going to 103, 110, 120, and see them posting some big numbers for TQ and HP, then you read about them doing something else, or fixing something, and having an issue with a flat spot, it just never ends.

It just seems to create an environment where you are never happy. I did it when we had quads, always had to be chasing that extra HP, out pacing your buddies, turned reliable quads into ones that required a ton of care and feeding, sucked the fun out of it.

So get that HD out today and ride, enjoy the day, enjoy the fact that you went to the garage, hit the go button, and it did, save the $8400+ for another toy as you will never get that investment out of the HD if you sell it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom