Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Hit By Cargo Ship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lol. what a disingenuous thought. No one has to be '100%' satisfied about the news to still give the updates coming from the government credence. A rational person understands that the early reports are almost never entirely correct. But that doesn't mean they are intentionally misleading, either.

If another source has facts that contradict the official report, those should be considered too. But 'it doesn't look like i think it should look' isn't contradictory proof here. Nor is the fact the the bridge didn't have bumpers.

That bridge had a previous strike that didn't cause this type of damage. Per a quick search, CNN had this

"In August 1980, a Japanese container ship crossing the Baltimore harbor lost propulsion about 600 yards from the Key Bridge after its electrical control board shorted out in the early morning hours. The ship then crashed into the bridge, colliding with one of its piers, according to a National Research Council report on ship-bridge collisions.

The collision ripped out a 30-foot section of a protective structure around the bridge’s concrete piling, according to a 1981 article published in The Evening Sun newspaper that cited a Coast Guard report on the incident. But the piling itself was only chipped, not significantly damaged. The accident caused $500,000 in damage to the bridge and required $350,000 in ship repairs, the Sun reported."

It goes on to point out one big difference is that ships are now much bigger.

"One major difference between the two accidents was the size of the ship. Data from the maritime tracking website MarineTraffic suggests the ship that crashed into the bridge in 1980, then known as Blue Nagoya, was about a third of the length and a fraction of the weight of the Dali."

So yeah, the government and news sources could be lying. Or they could be telling the truth as they currently understand it to be.
If you cannot be sure anything is 100% True, then faith has to take over to varying degrees. It's news and government, they are not gods and not worthy of any faith. If they were accurate in the high 90% range I may be more apt to believe them. Yes, accidents do happen, but two captains on board? It only took 5 hours to reach a conclusion with complex mechanical systems and electronic systems? It probably took an hour for officials to get out there? What type of officials were they? Mechanics and electronic experts? If you were in a car, killed 6 people in an accident, and you were in good health how long do you think it would take to assess blame and make sure you were telling the truth about your car losing power then having steering issues? Would you not want experts to look at all the mechanical and electronic factors?

I'm not saying they are not right, I am saying there is much to question and that leaves a lot of room for conspiracy theories.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you cannot be sure anything is 100% True, then faith has to take over to varying degrees. It's news and government, they are not gods and not worthy of any faith. If they were accurate in the high 90% range I may be more apt to believe them. Yes, accidents do happen, but two captains on board? It only took 5 hours to reach a conclusion with complex mechanical systems and electronic systems? It probably took an hour for officials to get out there? What type of officials were they? Mechanics and electronic experts? If you were in a car, killed 6 people in an accident, and you were in good health how long do you think it would take to assess blame and make sure you were telling the truth about your car losing power then having steering issues? Would you not want experts to look at all the mechanical and electronic factors?

I'm not saying they are not right, I am saying there is much to question and that leaves a lot of room for conspiracy theories.

Certainly, at some point each person will always have to decide how much they are willing to believe. But there is still a big difference in where the information you base your opinion on comes from. You can distrust government and news all you want. But if they are looking at ships logs, river currents, maintenance histories, mayday calls, etc, then they have more information than a person viewing a static camera on the internet from thousands of miles away.

That isn't to say that the person viewing the camera is entirely wrong, but to give that opinion the same weight as all the other information is foolish. If for no other reason than we don't know what kind of maneuvers the crew was trying, how they were positioning the boat before the systems failed, if it was an entire system failure or were some systems partially working, what the river conditions were, etc.

Lots of variables that are simply not knowable from a camera view of what happened.

And while i don't know who the officials are at least one thing i heard said they were recovering the 'black box' equivalent of those found on airplanes for NTSB analysis. At some point they probably will be at a spot where they've have learned all they can in the hours following the incident. Everything else will take more extensive investigation.

I'm not up on all the latest information, so i have yet to see anything that shows they've concluded their investigation. Lots of things talk about early indications, but nothing definitive. If you have a source you feel is accurate about it, i'd appreciate seeing it so i can better understand your position.

A lack of information (especially when discounting information because you don't trust the government and the news) is not an indication that they are intentionally misleading the public.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Certainly, at some point each person will always have to decide how much they are willing to believe. But there is still a big difference in where the information you base your opinion on comes from. You can distrust government and news all you want. But if they are looking at ships logs, river currents, maintenance histories, mayday calls, etc, then they have more information than a person viewing a static camera on the internet from thousands of miles away.

That isn't to say that the person viewing the camera is entirely wrong, but to give that opinion the same weight as all the other information is foolish. If for no other reason than we don't know what kind of maneuvers the crew was trying, how they were positioning the boat before the systems failed, if it was an entire system failure or were some systems partially working, what the river conditions were, etc.

Lots of variables that are simply not knowable from a camera view of what happened.

And while i don't know who the officials are at least one thing i heard said they were recovering the 'black box' equivalent of those found on airplanes for NTSB analysis. At some point they probably will be at a spot where they've have learned all they can in the hours following the incident. Everything else will take more extensive investigation.

I'm not up on all the latest information, so i have yet to see anything that shows they've concluded their investigation. Lots of things talk about early indications, but nothing definitive. If you have a source you feel is accurate about it, i'd appreciate seeing it so i can better understand your position.

A lack of information (especially when discounting information because you don't trust the government and the news) is not an indication that they are intentionally misleading the public.
So you are aware, I do think accidents happen and it is possible this was an accident but they have already said it was an accident and excluded terrorism specifically. I am saying that this should be watched, and I do not blame anyone for believing in possible conspiracies. 102 years later and there are conspiracies as to how the Titanic sunk, some are well worth reading up on.

I do think though we should question authority, that is supposed to be a First Amendment Right.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First they came for the statues .....
View attachment 465814

1711645306774.png

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you are 100% satisfied and believe 100% of the news you receive? Do you also think authority should be 100% question free? Not trying to be rude or start a fight, news and government have done much to kill my trust, and that is all news services. Awfully fast answers IMHO.
No, just believe people posting to YouTube from their mother’s basement with zero facts and all speculation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom