Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Hit By Cargo Ship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it would have thrusters at all 4 corners. Thrusters are very prone to cavitation, and their use must be carefully planned and the boat can't be moving at much speed. If it is the thrusters would take a very long time to deflect the course of the boat. Close in maneuvering systems work in yards per minute. For example if I nudge a ship towards a dock at let's say 3 yards per minute, and I'm happy with the direction, I would have to start the opposite thruster to stop it about 5 minutes before it contacts the dock and I would have to ramp that thruster up slowly so as not to cavitate it. Once it cavitates, it isn't thrusting.
I, unlike my Navy friend above, don't see gross in competence, at least not on the pilots part. Like I said he was just doing anything he could to avoid this wreck, praying for a miracle that just wasn't there. He probably knew they were going to hit for at least 2-3 minutes. Man that would suck...... The Gross incompetence lies with a engineering department who knew power drops had and were happening and still allowed the ship to set sail. The Gross incompetence is on a company that knew all of this but thought it would just magically be ok.

A terror attack, or what ever you want to call it wouldn't have needed to cut power, to do any maneuvering, they would have Bee lined for the main support and been all over social media. The entire bridge crew would have to be in on it, or you would have to have killed everyone on the nav deck, and so far there have been no reports of corpses scattered all over the bridge. The Coasties and BESSE would probably have noticed that.

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it interesting that a multi-million dollar high-tech freighter, somehow had a single point failure (of some sort) that rendered it helpless.

In engineering, "single-point-failures" are typically designed out before construction.

I'd like to hear more of WHAT failed and WHY?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Pedo Putz pResident has said the goobermint will pay 100% of clean up and rebuild.

WTF? Why should TAXPAYERS pay? The shipping company ADMITTED fault and they should pay for it.

This is total BS, buying votes from Baltimore shithole.

There are god knows how many reasons to hate Biden but this is just status quo with a bit of embellishment. Meaning, do you go up in arms when the government also steps in every time we have a tornado? This will be an economic disaster for a lot of people and as much as I can't stand the area and demographics it will be necessary for .gov to step in to get things moving. Otherwise, there will be a lengthy wait, with attorneys and finger pointing, for insurance companies to fund a rebuilding of the project. However, I promise you, there will be subrogation on behalf of the government against Maersk. That I have no doubt whatsoever. However, that will take years.

Biden claiming the federal government will pay for it is just another lie, so in that respect you're right, he's buying votes but it's not going to play out that way in the end. Maersk will get the bill.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the biggest cranes on the ocean has moved into Baltimore harbor to assist dismantling the bridge and getting the main channel open for commerce.
What's interesting is that this crane was once owned by the CIA and used to build the Glomar Explorer. A top-secret vessel built to recover a sunken Russian Submarine during the cold war.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ma...bridge-debris-crews-assess-damage-2024-03-29/

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maersk has already admitted and accepted fault. Contact insurance, write the check, surrender assets or government seizure.

Government seizure comes with Pedo Joe getting his taste, of course.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1711775962015.png

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maersk has already admitted and accepted fault. Contact insurance, write the check, surrender assets or government seizure.

Government seizure comes with Pedo Joe getting his taste, of course.

It's not that simple. So let's hold up the government seizure gestapo for just a moment. Kind of funny to see that request btw. Ya figure that would set a dangerous precedent or nah?

Did a little digging. Maersk has accepted responsibility as the shipper, not the operator. Maersk chartered the vessel and Synergy Marine group was the freight broker, and Grace Ocean Pty Ltd is the owner. It seems Grace is part of a captive with 3 billion in reinsurance which is a good thing. However, everyone, starting with the families of the dead will have their hands out from the get go. All three will be brought in god knows how many lawsuits and that will take time. So this will be a huge clusterfawk with implications that will affect everything in shipping for years. That includes the price of goods. Therefore it's best for .gov to step in and begin cleanup and rebuild. I promise you, they will subrogate the loss in several ways.

In a nutshell, Biden is just talking out of his asz again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom