Gar Fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David, I'd love to go along with you one day soon. I'll need to know what kind of gear to bring along. Most all my fishing gear is light to ultra light. I'm in Grove, so the travel won't be an issue. Just working 3 days a week at the moment so I have a long weekend every week.

Frank aka willystruck

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man gar are tasty...I like the under 4 foot ones best though for eating.
I snagged a bunch with a 700hoss zebco reel and a 6.5 foot bass rod that had the last 6" broke off the tip..so a 6 foot rod it was.
20lb trilene and some trebble hooks..snaggin'
Fact i am an idiot..i have seen huge needlenose gar and caught one that we weighed and ate..caught in the arkansas river near gore.
64lbs...yep idiot...That was one fat gar..crushed it's head with a huge rock once we got it on the shore.
That was many years ago...i see the record now and still shake my head, and wonder if anyone checks these monsters in.
I have seen plenty that would beat the record.
Think about that next time you go out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes long nose gar..the old dudes scale i feel may be off by 10lbs..was a 75lb scale the fish i did measure the length of it
because i usually have a tape measure...67" long..no arguing with the length.
There used to be 2 of the monsters below the dam at eufaulla in the 1980's they stayed there for a couple years.

Monsters over 6 foot long..I had a zara spook i was playing with and had one chasing it..i was reeling fast as i could to keep it away from that sucker.. sure did not want to lose my spook.

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
been catching gar my entire life... love catching them and love eating them... many people think they are a dirty scavenger fish but in they actually are one of the cleaner fish in our lakes and streams. most generally all they eat is live fish... I also use the rope method for catching them but I usually catch mine with chartreuse boating rope... best of luck to anyone that tries it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now we must include our recipes for them.
I slice mine up into shrimp size pieces and boil for 4-7 minutes in zataran crab and shrimp boil.
Just follow the instructions on the bottle...Tastes like sea food ..cross between shrimp and crab meat.
Get out the shrimp sauce or garlic butter dip

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David, I'd love to go along with you one day soon. I'll need to know what kind of gear to bring along. Most all my fishing gear is light to ultra light. I'm in Grove, so the travel won't be an issue. Just working 3 days a week at the moment so I have a long weekend every week.

Frank aka willystruck

Hi Frank,

I'm about ready to try one of my favorite spots on the creek for gar and hope to haul in a nice blue cat in the process...

For fishing gear, I recommend a good spinning outfit with 17 lb. line, slip corks, #8 or #10 treble hooks, 1/8 oz. sinkers and a 50-60 lb. nylon leader. I use 60 lb. Spider Wire for leader material and have plenty if you need some...

As far as bait goes, large minnows or shiners and fresh cut shad have always worked good in this particular water hole...

As low as the water level is, I don't know if it would be worth going now, or waiting till we get a good rain. This particular hole is in a bend on the creek and is one of the deepest holes for several hundred yards both, upstream and downstream...

If you're not working this Friday, we can go check it out and see what happens. I normally don't start gar fishing till around June but, I've just got a bad hankering to go....

DAVID

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Won't be able to do it this week as I've already committed to helping a neighbor with some repairs. Next Thurs or Fri will work out if the weather looks decent.

Frank

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Frank,

let's plan for one of those days, depending on weather conditions...

I may head down there tomorrow for an hour or so and see if its going to be worth going or not. If there are not any fish in the hole, no point in wasting our time. I'll give a report Friday evening and let you know how things look. If I can remember to take my camera, I'll take a couple of pictures to post as well....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom