Gate Opener?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told years ago to never go AC power on Gate Openers. 12v DC only way.

I have been using an AC garage door opener Converted to gate for over 20 years now since my flesh and blood openers headed off to universities. I have replaced it once due to mechanical failure but no electrical issues

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes on Solar Powered. We have had no issues in 9 years or so. Power goes out, gate still works! No elect spikes to kill a mother board!
We use a solar powered gate opener at our gun range but it’s a commercial model. Extremely heavy gate that gets opened several times a day for about 4 years now. I think it was in the neighborhood of 4 grand though.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when i was working i was in charge of installing and maintaning the gate openers and we used the Mule brand but ordered straight from the company and got a different grade than they sell at the big box stores and yes we had problems from time to time but what do you not have problems with, the mules we had was battery operated but had AC to maintane the batteries since it was close and the gate would open and close around 200 times before the batteries needed to be recharged or so thats what the manual said it really depends on the weight of the gate and whether you have a single or double gate.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when i was working i was in charge of installing and maintaning the gate openers and we used the Mule brand but ordered straight from the company and got a different grade than they sell at the big box stores and yes we had problems from time to time but what do you not have problems with, the mules we had was battery operated but had AC to maintane the batteries since it was close and the gate would open and close around 200 times before the batteries needed to be recharged or so thats what the manual said it really depends on the weight of the gate and whether you have a single or double gate.

The one we use on another entrance has been on it for about 9 years. Total solar. I did have to take the beeper out of it, as it would scream when the battery would drop down to close to 12v on dreary cloudy days twice in a row. The beeper is easily just pulled out!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had one that I had to replace the control board on twice cause they wouldnt listen to me when installed, it was on a metal fence with metal poles and only a foot from the buried grounding cable for a 300 ft radio tower and would take lightning strikes on a regular bases and fry the control board they finally just abandoned the opener.

Latest posts

Top Bottom