George Kaiser influence on the political/social front in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a recent thread in Law and Order discussing the Tulsa Police Chief retiring, a comment included that conspiracy theories are fun, but discounted the influence one particular person (and his associates including the Mayor and city council member) have over the political/social/education/economic scene in Tulsa. Just for reference, below is a 2020 article discussing the influence that George Kaiser exerts over Tulsa. If you've never read it, it is highly informative with a huge amount of facts. In the article is also a reference to a blog post from Michael Bates discussing Bynum's Economic Advisory Committee. This is worth the read.

Incidentally, ending in 2022, Kaiser's Tulsa Community Foundation had assets of $769,260,352. A lot of influence there...

Last edited:

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, Reedman. A lot of foundations, committees, supporting members to digest. A complicated series of steps to give away money while avoiding public criticism/outcry. Didn’t know Mr. Kaiser had built so much, was so successful. So his foundation is going to develop the Greenwood area? To some groups’ disapproval. Forget how many billion the article claimed he was worth. I predict the money will talk, the dissenters will have to nash their teeth.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the linked document now and I'll admit this one surprised me:

The full 990 for TCF in 2016 reveals that it distributed over $4 million toward out-of-state scholastic shooting sports: youth-and-guns training programs supported by the firearms industry. That’s more than TCF sent to any other single program that year besides the Gathering Place park. In 2017, TCF’s gun-related contributions more than doubled to over $9.1 million.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the linked document now and I'll admit this one surprised me:
I just waded through their 2022 form 990 (the most recent one available), and to do a good job, it would take days. The Foundation gives to a wide range of national and international organizations. I remember when it was first organized, one of it's selling points to donors was that It is set-up to act as a conduit to organizations that the donor wishes to support, WITHOUT having every group seeking $ to traipse through the donors door. My guess is that a donor or multiple donors wanted their funds to go toward gun training programs.

And Tulsa City Counselor Phil Lakin heads up this Kaiser foundation.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a recent thread in Law and Order discussing the Tulsa Police Chief retiring, a comment included that conspiracy theories are fun, but discounted the influence one particular person (and his associates including the Mayor and city council member) have over the political/social/education/economic scene in Tulsa. Just for reference, below is a 2020 article discussing the influence that George Kaiser exerts over Tulsa. If you've never read it, it is highly informative with a huge amount of facts. In the article is also a reference to a blog post from Michael Bates discussing Bynum's Economic Advisory Committee. This is worth the read.

Incidentally, ending in 2022, Kaiser's Tulsa Community Foundation had assets of $769,260,352. A lot of influence there...

Reedman,

I'd really like to thank you for posting this. I was unaware it even existed. It's a LONG but engaging read. The perspective of the writer is decidedly left of center and underdog oriented, which makes it fascinating that it contains some of the very same complaints about the Kaiser machine that conservatives hold.

Between my own observations and some of the revelatory content of this article, I'd say Kaiser and his acolytes view themselves as benevolent, behind the scenes dictators, whose positive contributions outweigh any negative impacts their heavy-handedness create. Truer words haven't been spoken regarding the completely hands-off, speak no evil of Kaiser World within the media, arts and industry in the Tulsa community. The reason Kaiser critics are so easily dismissed as antisemitic troglodytes is because everyone with power and prominence in the area are completely afraid to speak out.

While I don't think Kaiser is anywhere near as corrosive as Soros, there are many parallels in how their power and influence operate. They both view themselves as directing our society long after their deaths. I doubt it even occurs to them that making their personal machine so powerful, doesn't immunize it from the effects of a bad future leader, i.e. the NRA under Wayne LaPierre.

Anyway, thanks for the lead!

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reedman,

I'd really like to thank you for posting this. I was unaware it even existed. It's a LONG but engaging read. The perspective of the writer is decidedly left of center and underdog oriented, which makes it fascinating that it contains some of the very same complaints about the Kaiser machine that conservatives hold.

Between my own observations and some of the revelatory content of this article, I'd say Kaiser and his acolytes view themselves as benevolent, behind the scenes dictators, whose positive contributions outweigh any negative impacts their heavy-handedness create. Truer words haven't been spoken regarding the completely hands-off, speak no evil of Kaiser World within the media, arts and industry in the Tulsa community. The reason Kaiser critics are so easily dismissed as antisemitic troglodytes is because everyone with power and prominence in the area are completely afraid to speak out.

While I don't think Kaiser is anywhere near as corrosive as Soros, there are many parallels in how their power and influence operate. They both view themselves as directing our society long after their deaths. I doubt it even occurs to them that making their personal machine so powerful, doesn't immunize it from the effects of a bad future leader, i.e. the NRA under Wayne LaPierre.

Anyway, thanks for the lead!

I didn't say he was as powerful as Soros, obviously he doesn't have the same amount of money and influence. But he is certainly just as evil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom