Getting a suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Von mauer at the mall. Tell them your max budget I got a suit shirt and tie out the door for just under 500 recently they also have on staff tailors and do their alterations in house. Kohls is a good place to look also don't discount goodwill I've gotten some nice suits in the past from there. As far as cleaners go I exclusively use roundup the main plant is off the Kilpatrick across from mercy by panera same day service and they do shirts and jeans as good as it gets in the metro area. I wear starched shirts and jeans most every day.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any suggestions for the OKC area? I'm in desperate need of one, as well as a decent cleaners. I've had 2 out of 4 cleaners ruin 4 shirts in the past year.

sadly no. I will say that Jos A Banks usually has good sales (typically buy one get X free) and sales on shirts. The nice thing is that they have gone to more tailored jackets, which saves a bit on tailoring afterwards.

For working weddings, i've gone with a few target suits and had them tailored a bit. They aren't amazing suits, but some something i'm literally running in, it can be nice to have a suit i don't stress about ruining

Don't be afraid to try on several sizes, styles and fits. You'll actually feel the difference when one fits vs when one is close.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try to find a consignment store. There use to be a place in Tulsa called Echo Man. Might still be there but the prices were decent. Place kinda smells like Gramma's closet tho.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want something for infrequent wear, go to JC Penney and find their slim fit 100% wool suits. Something like this and the matching slacks. Go for navy or grey that you can wear for nearly everything, not black or brown or khaki or olive. It's a fused (glued) jacket so it won't hold up as well as a more expensive suit, but for wear 1-2 times a year it's fine. The wool will look better than the polyester mixes from JCP, Kohls, etc which is the more important part.

Then when you get it, go spend about 50-100 bucks having it tailored. Suit chest/waist, sleeve length, pant length and pant leg slimness, depending on what you need. You'll be in for around $300 bucks for something that looks good when you wear it (because its 100% wool and tailored to fit you). Some people would thumb their noses at an inexpensive suit, but mostly the money goes for durability/construction which is less important for your purposes. The tailoring is where to spend the money to get one that looks good. You WILL need to have it tailored.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Goodwill and check their selection out. You might find something cheap and then just give it back if you don't want to keep it.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kohl's has some great deals on suits right now. I just bought 4 new ones a couple weeks ago from them, and they only came out to about $130 each. Look for coupons... everything was already heavily discounted, plus I got another 20% off with a coupon (my old lady is the coupon queen). The ones I got were the suit singles, with separate pants and jackets, but it is buy 1, get 1 for $1. None of the ones I bought needed to be tailored.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a weird roomate years ago who I remember would go buy a suit or sports jacket for some weekend dress up occasion, keep his tags, and return it on Monday. He probably did it 20 times during the time I lived with him.

I dont have to dress up alot in my line of work but do on social or business things and family whatever's. Ive bought some good suits everywhere from nice mens stores with onsite alteration to discount outlets and there isnt much difference when it comes down to it but what is in your budget. I have had some stuff tailored and it was too expensive for what I felt like I got. A favorite activity of mine for years has been thrift store and consignment shop clothes shopping and I have picked up quite a few really cool sports coats and jackets for funerals, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom