Getting stronger, faster and better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna try that this summer as a matter of fact. Lord willing of course.
You want to get in some trail runs in Tulsa or any assistance prepping for this run n gun thing, hit me up. I run in the afternoons about 3 times a week. I'm kind of a Left-wing liberal and I really don't like assault weapons, but I like to see people stay in good health.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want to get in some trail runs in Tulsa or any assistance prepping for this run n gun thing, hit me up. I run in the afternoons about 3 times a week. I'm kind of a Left-wing liberal and I really don't like assault weapons, but I like to see people stay in good health.
Thanks. I run 3 miles every other day just because I’m getting too old not to.
Left wing liberal on a gun forum? Okay.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I run 3 miles every other day just because I’m getting too old not to.
Left wing liberal on a gun forum? Okay.
Well, it depends on who you ask about the left wing liberal stuff. But seriously, the RNG, especially the summer Pawnee run is tough - it's hot on that road.

I really recommend running during the heat (with lots of water) and rucking for training.

Just my .02.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it depends on who you ask about the left wing liberal stuff. But seriously, the RNG, especially the summer Pawnee run is tough - it's hot on that road.

I really recommend running during the heat (with lots of water) and rucking for training.

Just my .02.
Been running off and on since my my high power rifle days regardless of heat. I was brought up in the days when we had two a day practices without water until practice was over. No AC until my teens and that was a single window unit. I love the heat. I refuse to buy a riding mower because I view it as giving up. LOL. When I was shooting IDPA I wanted it hot. Kinda wore the competition down a little. What hurts me is running in the cold. hate it. Muscles and joints are stiff and take for ever to warm up. Older I get the more I like summer. Point being I'm no stranger to running in the heat. I regularly incorporate running into my shooting just to induce stress.
I'm an old man still playing a young mans game. At least for three more years. I have to run just to keep from being in the way and a liability in a gun fight.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just my .02.
So what would be a good shoe/boot for 5K cross country type run and gun. I have my Brooks running shoes but I think something light with maybe a higher top and more aggressive tread may be in order.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what would be a good shoe/boot for 5K cross country type run and gun. I have my Brooks running shoes but I think something light with maybe a higher top and more aggressive tread may be in order.
I really like the ultralight Danner boots, kind of a light canvas type material. Lighter than running shoes.
I switched to sandals about ten years ago so I'm not much on current running boots.
My wife and several friends like Altra running shoes, and that would probably be my pick if I was going to use shoes.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did my very first R&R in light weight Irish Setter hunting boots. Like 8” boots. That was the last time I wore anything but tennis shoes.

Like TK said. I like the Altra Lone Peaks. They have good tread and are light weight. I have had probably 6 pair of Lone Peaks. And every pair I have wore the soles out on them and the uppers were still holding up. Which is unusual for a tennis shoe for me. Usually the upper cloth separates from sole on most of my tennis shoes. Some of Altras other styles didn’t hold up as well but the Lone Peaks are good to go.

Only thing about them if you give a crap is they are not fashionable. If you wore them to highschool you would most likely get shoved in a locker.

Another thing a guy on here taught me is that trail running to strength condition your ankles will be more beneficial than high top tennis shoes will be.

Even if I am stuck running pavement I will run some portion in the road ditch to work on that.

Good job keeping in shape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom