Good source for a Browning light 12 A5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where would you start looking for one? I've been to Mustang Pawn and Sears and they had several but I have no idea what a good price is. A buddy gave me a head's up there was one on SSP website but was gone before I could even look at it. I would prefer a Belgium made one.

Also, what are some things to inspect closely prior to buying one?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're just gonna have to keep looking, and know what you're looking at when you're looking at it. They're kinda tough to find now. I'm always on the lookout, and when I see one in a rack, I ask to see it. If it's in pretty good shape, and they are reasonable on the price, I've been know to take them home.

I'd look the forearm over pretty well to make sure it wasn't cracked, then I'd take the forearm off and make sure all the parts were there (spring, bronze friction piece, friction ring). If I really wanted to make sure I was buying a Belgium I'd familiarize myself with the serial numbers, or buy a serial # book and carry it with you. The only place on the gun that says Belgium is the barrel.

If you know what you're looking at, and what a Belgium sounds like when the bolt closes it's a whole lot easier than looking at serial #'s, but the only sure way is to verify by serial #.

Good luck. I love my Brownings, but as far as where to go to buy one today, I'm not sure there is a place around here. I stumbled into a gun shop in a little town up in MO a few years ago that probably had 100 or so. It was crazy. I don't remember the name of the shop or even the town, but I don't think there was even a stop light.

A good one, in pretty good shape is around $1000.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plenty of used good shooters in the 400-600 range though.
if you are looking for a closet queen you will pay more.
Armslist is good

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info guys. I am working on familiarizing myself with the serial numbers, etc.

The main reason I want one is when I was a kid and could only afford a single shot and would go to skeet shoots and turkey shoots there were a few gentlemen with them and I always thought they were the coolest shotguns ever. I want a shooter not safe queen. I will keep looking and report back when I find one.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always loved hump backed Belgiums and got the bug cause my Dad had one then sold it. He found me one in Bill's of Enid when I was in Iraq in 04 and he got it for me for $300. He bought a Sweet 16 with a 32" barrel at an auction a couple of years ago for a little more than it was worth but it is a rare bird. I need to find someone to service them! Good luck and keep looking!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome shotguns. The sweet 16 is my favorite upland gun in the field.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0141.jpg

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd look the forearm over pretty well to make sure it wasn't cracked, then I'd take the forearm off
If you know what you're looking at, and what a Belgium sounds like when the bolt closes it's a whole lot easier than looking at serial #'s, but the only sure way is to verify by serial #.

Word...it's a beautiful 'ping' sound.

Try gene sears. I remember seeing a few out there a week or two ago.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine, Coolhandluke, was down at SSP earlier today and said that A5 was in fact there. I didn't get down there til a couple of hors later and ofcourse, it had already sold. Got to move quicker and thus my search continues. I did want to give a big THANKS for the head's up Lucas!

Latest posts

Top Bottom