Ground Blind Hunting Strategies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fiddler918

I don't like bowhunting for deer out of a ground blind but that is my best option in a particular spot. I had a nice six-point come in today and a few does later, one of the does totally spooked at the sight of the blind (which has been in place for over a week). She might have winded me but I think she spooked b/c the windows were open and therefore the blind looked different. I know these deer have been hanging out around the blind recently but I leave the windows closed when I'm not hunting, I don't really know why I do that, just a habit. I was hoping to get some opinions and strategies on ground blind hunting....chime in. Thanks.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't open all the windows so the deer can't see all the way through the blind. Put some brush on and around the blind to make it blend in more. That's about all I have.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The deer seem to pick mine out but maybe not brushing it in enough. When you leave it set up awhile, I think they get used to it and are not that bothered by it. I have seen one really big deer come from one but it had been in the same spot for a month or more.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my ground blind set up between two hedge trees, and had to trim the limbs, to get it there. Its not brushed in at all, but has been there for three weeks, and the deer don't seem to notice it. I only have one window open and wear a head cover when inside so my face isn't visible.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine has been up for 3-4 weeks now. I leave the inside windows down and just have the mesh windows up. I wear a face mask also when I am in it. The deer don't seem to mind it based on the pictures on the camera 25 yards away.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are lot many things to be keep in mind while ground blind hunting depending on the situtions you are hunting in!!
So its better to follow them using the below link...
http://www.bowhunting.com/publisher/Bowhunting-Knowledge/2009/1/2/ground-blind-strategies
hope this will make you doubts clear!

Thanks for the reminder. One of my big problems is the darn wind in NC & NW OK. Gotta stake those blinds down as well as use clothes pins on the window flaps.

Dreaming Man

F

Fiddler918

Thanks for the tips and website link. Last question....Do you all leave the windows open or closed when you leave the blind after hunting?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I close my windows. I don't want the wind getting inside. Left them open in the past, and the blind got blown over after all the stakes got pulled out of the ground. I don't have many trees in my area, and there is nothing to block the wind.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have 3 ground blinds on our property this year. My Double Bull is tucked back into a tree. I carved out an area of limbs and backed the blind into it. Then surrounded the blind with the cut limbs. I didn't have deer one in that area for a few days. Looking at the area around the feeder now you can tell the deer could care less about the new addition. I keep the shoot through netting up when I'm in it and close the opening when I'm not. deer don't like large dark openings, so I've been told.

On the blind blowing issue. use the tie down straps if your blind has them. makes all the difference in the world on securing the blind. I have 8 stakes holding mine. I use the large nails(18:"-24" long) to stake them down with. I also have one using the aluminum tent stakes. This is mainly sandy soil and they are staying put.

Latest posts

Top Bottom