Hard chrome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSU

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there is probably a thread on this but i am considering having the slide of one of my hand guns plated in hard chrome. I was curious if anyone else had this, what they thought of it, how much it costs and if there are any places in oklahoma that do it.

Thanks in advance!

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matte finished HC or Nickle are very nice finishes for a carry gun. I had my P3AT slide done and it's done years in a pocket without a bit of corrosion. I have a custom Commander that I had NP3'd. Very nice, gray finish but not so cheap.

If you go for HC, remember that they usually sand or bead blast the surface first and attention to detail counts. Failure to mask important contact surfaces can result in a rough action or malfunctions.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure of the cost, but sure does wear well. The 1911 was done in 1980 and still looks new, I carry this gun a lot.
i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_2980.jpg
[Broken External Image]

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, is that Hard Chrome is slightly porous so make sure to keep them lightly oiled, because the subsurface can begin to oxidize if you don't. Just like a DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) finish, hard chrome is a supreme carry finish.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Matte finished HC or Nickle are very nice finishes for a carry gun. I had my P3AT slide done and it's done years in a pocket without a bit of corrosion. I have a custom Commander that I had NP3'd. Very nice, gray finish but not so cheap.

If you go for HC, remember that they usually sand or bead blast the surface first and attention to detail counts. Failure to mask important contact surfaces can result in a rough action or malfunctions.

Not to start anything, but Nickle is a horrible finish for a carry weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom