Hate Speech Hysteria at the University of Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another aspect of this is we (i.e., americans) often describe our differences as racial differences, when they are actually socio-economic-status differences. This is rather easy to demonstrate empirically, and I've published some work in this area.

I've observed that from the LE side lots of times. The people who can least afford the cost of the system are the ones who pay the most into it. Of course I have a hypothesis regarding how much of it is self-inflicted, i.e. poor decision making and life coping skills.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've observed that from the LE side lots of times. The people who can least afford the cost of the system are the ones who pay the most into it. Of course I have a hypothesis regarding how much of it is self-inflicted, i.e. poor decision making and life coping skills.
Interesting. I'd like to hear more about your hypothesis. It may be testable. Or, we may already have data to test it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love to study people. Mostly pretty women, but I get around to everyone eventually. I've observed that people who grow up in poverty tend to fall into two broad categories, those who accept their lot in life and those who wish to escape it via any means possible. The accepting person who remains surrounded by poverty and quietly saves a fortune over a lifetime without improving their capabilities is a rare breed. Most remain in squalor and their lives are defined by chaos and drama on a routine basis, from which they can never hope to escape because they don't understand how their everyday decisions factor into their issues. I've done FI's and investigations where "why did you do that" comes up. The answers are almost universally nonsensical to those of us not in that situation, but make perfect sense to them. IOW, it's not a matter of desire, but a matter of comprehension.

The ones that plan to escape poverty are another discussion entirely.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another aspect of this is we (i.e., americans) often describe our differences as racial differences, when they are actually socio-economic-status differences. This is rather easy to demonstrate empirically, and I've published some work in this area.
Which is really funny because Americans generally identify themselves with their chosen career.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most countries around the world focus on differences by socio-economic-status, but america focuses on differences by race...we suck.

Comparing America's race relations to those in "most" countries would be an apples to oranges comparison. Most countries do not have the racial, ethic and cultural diversity that America has. And America doesn't suck.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess hysteria is all depending on what you are there for. I attended OU from 2014 to 2016 to finish up a second degree. From my perspective, there wasnt much hysteria. In fact, race was not even an issue. The incidents reported(other than SAE), such as the poster for the White Nationalist Group, the Racist Posters about White Superiority etc etc got very little hallway talk on campus. I think media made a bigger issue of these items... which fits with the narrative of media wanting a racial divide.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess hysteria is all depending on what you are there for. I attended OU from 2014 to 2016 to finish up a second degree. From my perspective, there wasnt much hysteria. In fact, race was not even an issue. The incidents reported(other than SAE), such as the poster for the White Nationalist Group, the Racist Posters about White Superiority etc etc got very little hallway talk on campus. I think media made a bigger issue of these items... which fits with the narrative of media wanting a racial divide.

While I do have contact with professors and college students, I haven't spent much time on a college campus in decades. Yesterday I had a conversation with a former student, who is attending a major university not in Oklahoma, about the atmosphere on his campus. His take is consistent with your statement. He said he saw everything from BLM to white supremacist, never Trumpers and Electoral College protest, but they are a minority of students that get a lot of attention.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I do have contact with professors and college students, I haven't spent much time on a college campus in decades. Yesterday I had a conversation with a former student, who is attending a major university not in Oklahoma, about the atmosphere on his campus. His take is consistent with your statement. He said he saw everything from BLM to white supremacist, never Trumpers and Electoral College protest, but they are a minority of students that get a lot of attention.

Another factor for my own experience could be isolation. I was finishing up a degree in a fairly politically conservative branch of engineering. So I have no doubt that the climate on my side of campus may have been far different from the liberal arts side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom