Help from you Jeep/wheel and tire experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a new 2013 jeep wrangler sport over ther weekend and already wanting to change out the wheels and tires. First, not really sure if I want to do a lift but wanting to put something on it that still looks good. This will be a daily driver and maybe see the dirt on the weekends so a street/dirt tire is needed. So I guess what I'm asking is, what size of wheel and tire will look the best? Where would be a good place to find in the Tulsa area.

I'm also wanting to put a front bumper, nerf bars on as well.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're considering lift, even remotely, I would do that before tires. I think with 2" of spaced lift you can run 35" tires. Personally, I would run a premium tire like BF Goodrich Mud TA KM2.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had it to do over again I would skip the lift, run 33's, and spend the lift money on skid plates and a winch. That way your center of gravity stays low and you don't kill your mileage and ride quality as a daily driver. 33's on a coil-sprung jeep will get you places off-road that many 4wd's require ~37's to get.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the 2013! My youngest daughter got one about a month ago. She isn't wanting to do the tire change out just yet, but trying to find aftermarket floor mats, etc has been difficult since nobody lists the 2013 models on their websites or catalogs yet!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What color did you get? I love the Commando Green.

33s should be fine with stock suspension and gears. 35s would work with stock suspension, but you'll get rubbing. Should be fine with 3.73 gears, I wouldn't go bigger without upgrading gears. I personally wouldn't go bigger than 33s with 3.21 gearing.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the outside diameter size issue has already been addressed, check out the:

Goodyear Duratrac
Goodyear MTR Kevlar
Cooper SST
Firestone Destination M/T

Some of the better aggressive tread patterns out there.

I would go with 16" wheels if you can as tires are cheaper (I don't think there are any brake clearance issues with the 16" on a JK), in just some basic black Soft 8s or similar. I think those simple wheels look best with a Wrangler.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4'' lift with 315/70R17 on beadlocks looks pretty good. i wouldnt go with less than a 3.5'' if you're going 35's.
dproberts.files.wordpress.com_2012_10_100_0451.jpg_389c1c8cf4ede9129b7d5f1b9e6a7950.jpg

you also need to greatly consider your diff gearing. you'll need >4.10 gears with 35's if you want to use it as a daily driver. i think the '13 comes with 3.73.

if you want 35's, do your diff gears then your lift then your tires.

i have 4.10 gearing on mine & it still struggles past 60mph.

Sworth72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive ran tires in sizes from 31"-39". My favorites have been my procomp Xterrains, BFG km2's, Toyo open country At's. if you want a tire that lasts forever Look at the terra grappler, I couldnt wear those things out completely. Im currently running the xterrains in the 37 flavor on my truck right now. But if you ever plan on lifting the jeep and running bigger 35" i would go with a 17 rim. There are alot more options as far as tires are concerned

Latest posts

Top Bottom