Help with a question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is an option that is available for those that may be on or have taken anti-depressants. One can obtain a form from the OSBI that is then given to one's doctor to fill out that indicates the doctor's opinion as to the mental state of the applicant.

Whether you are a new applicant or going for a renewal, it then all depends on your doctor and whether he/she will give you a positive review.

mmarsbury

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This brings to mind the Virginia Tech case, where I believe they decided that Cho's (the perp) purchases shouldn't have happened as he was classified mentally ill and more importantly "a danger to society" by a judge, which should have came up on the NICS report.

Before, when he was just diagnosed as having anxiety disorder, he would have been fine. Jeez... I have been diagnosed as having generalized anxiety disorder and therefore have a "mental illness" as would probably most of America, but that just means I work too hard and feel tired and stressed.

Be leery of anything that can be subject to wider interpretation... lawmakers make bills with TONS of loopholes to cover their "loopholes." ;-)

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You hear all the time how "they" need access to a persons mental health records to prevent tragedies such as Virginia Tech. Other records as well for that matter. Its scary to think what from Government hack would consider a mental health problem.

Michael

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sent a message to the OSBI about a week ago about the mental health thing. (Vets with PTSD/Depression.) No answer as of yet.

Why ask the question when the law makes no mention of either condition?

PTSD and/or depression are not exclusive to vets and both are very broad terms that don't automatically fit in the "significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to meet the ordinary demands of life" category.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is HOW you got into treatment. If the police or courts were involved because of your behavior, it generates more discussion, and you may need a statement from the MD that you are not seriously ill.

And if you were put into treatment because of a drug abuse psychotic episode that landed you in jail, well...........

It started off as marriage counseling but they've had some prescriptions for anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. I think he'll be fine on his application. I just thought I would check before he applied for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom