Hipness question: Are snakeskin boots still ok to wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 9 pairs of boots and wear them all. I have a couple pairs of Rios of Mercedes my Grandfather gave my from the early 1970's that still look good. They have the cowboy heel instead of the rancher heel that I prefer but they are still cool. I have 1 pair of smooth osterich and other than that they are all calf skin or pig skin. Most of mine are Rio's but I have a pair of Nocona's and a pair of Justins. Just don't buy any made in China crap boots.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve,

You are very fashion forward. I have sharkskin boots myself. We are rock stars. I say get out the 501s, we tuck in those suckers, and walk around the mall. Are you in?

Snake skin will never go out. Ask Ted Nugent.

Last edited by a moderator:

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not only is it cool, it's very sexy ... just please don't tuck the legs of your jeans into them. (Remember THAT fashion phase??)

Ugh! I saw a dude crossing the street in downtown a few days ago rocking the tucked in jeans. :laugh6:

And to answer the question, I say wear the boots!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm 6' 2", around 205. So I have that at least.

Ridge and you discuss a great point. You are certainly tall enough. I am only 5" 9ish (10 on a good day), but the boots work better once I slimmed down from 212 to 170.

Oh, and you need some decent jeans. Make sure they are:

Long enough (I wear 30" for slacks and such, but 32" for my boot-wearin' jeans)
Dark enough (rinsed indigo or similar. None of this stonewashed or acid washed crap)
A decent fit and brand (I wear Levis exclusively. 517 to be exact. Nice jeans and not expensive. Wranglers would work too, but don't get some cheap, ill-fitting Rustler brand for your nice boots. But don't get some overpriced, pre-faded 200 dollar pair from the buckle either).

The jeans are EQUALLY if not more important than the boots. The specifics listed above are not hard and fast, but the rules themselves are pivotal (length, wash, fit).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve,

You are very fashion forward. I have sharkskin boots myself. We are rock stars. I say get out the 501s, we tuck in those suckers, and walk around the mall. Are you in?

Snake skin will never go out. Ask Ted Nugent.

Dude, Snakeskin Cowboys is a song lambasting posers.

Ugh! I saw a dude crossing the street in downtown a few days ago rocking the tucked in jeans. :laugh6:

Gah, faux-redneck kids in boots and shorts or boots with their pants tucked in bug me on the same level as hipsters in skinny jeans and boat shoes.

2011-04-30%252012.01.09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or do you mean like Sperry Top-Siders?

Chyeh. If you wear boat shoes around, dun't cry or nothin'.

I never understood how those became a hipster thing in the first place. They seem more white bread vacation home than hipster, but I guess that's the "irony". I see those and capri pants on dudes errywhere I go now. :rolleyes2

Dya think?:wink2:

Dyup, that opening riff stole a good portion of the hearing in my left ear when I was wedged up close to the stack one night. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom