Honey bee inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never looked in my hives this time of year. Since I haven't treated for varroa mites in 2 years I was curious to see what it looked like.
Bee numbers looked good and honey stores are great.
No sign of a queen. No brood no eggs. Hopefully it is just the lull for this time of year.
I really thought there would be a small patch of brood since the weather hasn't been all that bad and they definitely have the numbers to keep it warm and pollen and honey to keep fed . All three hives look the same.
IMG_20221208_140134509.jpg
IMG_20221208_140134509.jpg

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not too bad! Looks to be about twice the size of mine. And kudos on taking a pic, I'm always too "occupied to take pictures when I open my hives.

I use 8s as well, they held heat better up north.
Do you run just a single deep?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not too bad! Looks to be about twice the size of mine. And kudos on taking a pic, I'm always too "occupied to take pictures when I open my hives.

I use 8s as well, they held heat better up north.
Do you run just a single deep?
2 deeps or 3 mediums and I still have a hard time with swarm prevention. They just like to backfill the brood area and when it's hot I don't like to suit up as my bees are not gentle like you see on youtube.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 deeps or 3 mediums and I still have a hard time with swarm prevention. They just like to backfill the brood area and when it's hot I don't like to suit up as my bees are not gentle like you see on youtube.
Good to know, I am running 1 medium 1 deep. In WA I used 2 deeps sometimes + a medium. I usually split my survivors for swarm prevention.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know, I am running 1 medium 1 deep. In WA I used 2 deeps sometimes + a medium. I usually split my survivors for swarm prevention.
I've been in the bee yard inspecting and had swarms boil out behind me. Chased 5 in one day. Honey bees can be a full time job every week. Plus suicide swarms in the fall due to warm weather here.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my younger days was loading some cement blocks Got into some bumble bees . Took of running got stung 15 times on my back. Did not have a shirt on then either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom