Hopkins and Allen “Forehand” model double barreled 12 ga.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I know's nephew inherited a double barreled 12 ga. shotgun with external hammers. It is a Hopkins and Allen “Forehand” model manufactured around 1901-1903. It is utility grade, but in very good condition mechanically. I have read warnings that firearms from this period were generally constructed for black powder and should not be used with modern ammunition. I am inclined to think that as long as he isn’t shooting slugs, he shouldn’t be generating particularly significant chamber pressures and would be good to go.

You guys are much better informed in these matters than I; what do you think?

Thanks for any info.

Evyl Robot

Marksman
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd have somebody look at it that knew more about them than I do. Like you, I'm aware that many of these ~100-yo shotguns are a little iffy on whether they can shoot smokeless or not. I'd take it to a smith or somebody and have them make the call.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A guy I know's nephew inherited a double barreled 12 ga. shotgun with external hammers. It is a Hopkins and Allen “Forehand” model manufactured around 1901-1903. It is utility grade, but in very good condition mechanically. I have read warnings that firearms from this period were generally constructed for black powder and should not be used with modern ammunition. I am inclined to think that as long as he isn’t shooting slugs, he shouldn’t be generating particularly significant chamber pressures and would be good to go.

You guys are much better informed in these matters than I; what do you think?

Thanks for any info.

Have you seen the gun?? If so do you know what twist-steel barrels are? If so and it does have those, do not shoot it!!!!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would bet it is a wall hanger. Many of those old shotguns had Damascus steel barrels (as LDP mentioned) and they make a classy decoration. The steel itself is beautiful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom