How are you preparing for the day when you run out of meds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May have been mentioned here before, but read the book "One Second After". It's a fictional look at an EMP attack on the USA and its implications. The authors discuss this issue in some depth, specifically what will happen when people who need meds to stabilize their emotional problems run out of medicine. It is a chilling book, and I highly recommend you read it if you want to know what a particular type of SHTF situation (EMP attack) entails.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May have been mentioned here before, but read the book "One Second After". It's a fictional look at an EMP attack on the USA and its implications. The authors discuss this issue in some depth, specifically what will happen when people who need meds to stabilize their emotional problems run out of medicine. It is a chilling book, and I highly recommend you read it if you want to know what a particular type of SHTF situation (EMP attack) entails.

Right on the money MM. I read that book right after it came out, that one woke me up. Sure the story is fiction, but the author who is a military historian did an excellent job of giving the reader a somewhat gruesome view of how life without power and meds would be. A must read for any prepper.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope i never have to prep for this. I havnt taken ANY type of pill in 8 years. No tylenol, ivy profen, pain killers, NONE.

You're young ... give it time, kiddo ... ;) (Didn't you say in another thread your back had been bothering you? Better get thee to a doctor and start doing some stretching and strength training, young man! :nono1::hey3:)

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic and as a family who is preparing to be self sufficient, we have a problem. We do not have any current longterm medicinal needs, thus we cannot get what we thing we might need, such as anti-biotics, pain killers, etc.

How does one determine and then acquire these meds other than taking a trip to south of Texas? Do I look at family history and guess?

Crap shoot?

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic and as a family who is preparing to be self sufficient, we have a problem. We do not have any current longterm medicinal needs, thus we cannot get what we thing we might need, such as anti-biotics, pain killers, etc.

How does one determine and then acquire these meds other than taking a trip to south of Texas? Do I look at family history and guess?

Crap shoot?

There are a lot of things I could tell you, but not in a public forum. I do know that you can buy fish meds and they are the same exact thing they give to humans, the dosage will of course be different, but you can buy a variety of antibiotics for your aquarium that will work the same for you. If you have a friend who is a Vet, speak to them on the subject.

The other direction to go is the natural method, herbs and essential oils. A fantastic resource for this is a book by Dr Kyle Christensen called Herbal First Aid and Health Care. You can check it out on Amazon. I have several books on the subject, but this is the best in my opinion if you are wanting a single book and not a library.

Two good sources for both knowledge and products are these two sights.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Herbs?id=5VNkzgjL

Dr Christensen is part owner of this company. I buy most of my bulk herbs from this source.
http://www.westernbotanicals.com/products.php

At the top of the home page on WB, there is a banner called Knowledge Base. Click on it, then on the link to Health and Lifestyle Analysis. Fill in the boxes that relate to your situation, then it will make recommendations based on your input. Pretty cool resource.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of us with cronic back pain are going to just have to learn to live with it. My meds are strictly controled at one month at a time. I wish I could grow my own poppies and know how to process them. I figure the getting off the meds will be a painful situation but the whole mess will not be easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom