How do you deal with a senile gun owner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Praying for you on this. It's a very tough situation whenever you have to make those types of decisions, but you need to find a way to work through the emotional aspect of it and make the right judgement and take the right action.

Ps. On the flips side, good luck to any whippersnappers wanting taking mine when I'm old though... I'll be like the last Texan at the Alamo.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Praying for you on this. It's a very tough situation whenever you have to make those types of decisions, but you need to find a way to work through the emotional aspect of it and make the right judgement and take the right action.

Ps. On the flips side, good luck to any whippersnappers wanting taking mine when I'm old though... I'll be like the last Texan at the Alamo.

EEHH you wont remember by then.... ;)
If talking doesnt work I agree , disable, borrow.
I wouldnt want to walk in to the consequences ... Good Luck

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough situation, but you have to get the guns out of the house. My family dealt with this when my grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It doesn't matter how bad or how far progressed he is...if you know his mental state is not 100% you have an obligation to make sure he does not have access to firearms of any kind.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
another way is if he dont have a safe for the guns buy him one but dont let him have the key or code to get in he may feel ok knowing that they are atleast in his house and not someone elses.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope I don't grow to be this old, I don't want anyone to take my guns away. I definitely see why it has to be done. Good luck, I know it will be hard. Hope all ends well.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wonder if this ever came up for anyone else here... How would you deal with a father or grandfather who's mental state is deteriorating?

Do you take away their guns? Hide bullets?

We were faced with that but had to move our father to assisted living. For a long time he accused us of stealing his guns. We gathered them and stored them all safely in case his house was burglarized. Our father suffers from dementia as well as several other diseases. We kept loaded guns all throughout his bedroom. If he was still at home we would certainly have gathered up all his guns for our own protection. There is a time where you have to do the right thing even if it pisses them off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom