How Early is Too Early?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am heading out to my hunting lease tomorrow to do some hunting stand maintenance and shooting lane clearing.
My plan is also to set up and stock my feeders and salt blocks.
My wife thinks I am out of my mind and suffering from hunting withdrawls and am compensating by setting feeders so early.
What say you fine folks? Am I too early or right on time?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Too early? Heck no!

We started maintenance on February. Feed all pretty much all year and work on something deer hunting related almost every week.

Get out there and do what's gotta be done, keep it from piling up. She oughta be thankful you're spreading it out!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone's situation, area, habitat, food need vary a little, so everyone's answer should vary a little bit. I'm fortunate to have plenty of ag around me, so I don't feed throughout the year, and really have no need for plots. Ladder Stands have been in place forever, chained with a chain boom, so there's no stand work to do.

-The last time I hunt a stand for the season, I pull the game cam.
-After season is over, I make one sweep through the place in in late March to look for shed's via ATV.
-About the middle of August, I'll go through will a sprayer and roundup walking and shooting lanes, a week later I'll brush hog them, also check and eliminate any wasp nests from towers, put game cams back out, and trim out around ladder stands if needed.
-Put out corn/wheat cleanings piles from about Sept 1 till Nov 1...........(don't put any out during most of Nov, deer are chasing, rarely visit the piles and coons eat it all) put piles back out just before Thanksgiving, this gives the coon times to swarm it before I trap the piles Dec 1 for coons. keep putting out piles till the end of season.

From the end of deer season through the middle of August, I pretty much stay out of the area, and the three times I do go in, it's on an ATV or tractor, deer usually just watch me drive by. The way the property is arranged, bedding areas are easily disturbed, so I don't invade much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt the same area. ^^^^^

Techniques about the same. Get in food plots around the first of September, and do a little maintenance. My blinds/stands have been in the same place for many years.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am taking over responsibility for our OK place, and I found some minor things when I was up in May that need attention and really can't wait until August or September when I generally start prepping for archery season.

I live beside my hunting place here, and I am working on something hunting related pretty much year around. The deer and hogs don't seem to mind.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i think its a perfect time. you might have to trim some more growth late summer, early fall but you'l be getting the bulk of it out of the way.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Will work for lease. :) I'll pay too, but I need a hunting buddy in the Tulsa area. None of my buddies hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom