How many of you have sporterized a milsurp?

• Thread starter point and laugh
  • Start Date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

point and laugh

I have had a few milsurps (67 is a few right?) But I have never had one that was sporterized. Until recently. I did a trade for some parts and wound up with an old Mosin that has had the barrel and stock cut. They did a nice job on the crown and soldered on an ugly sight. The bore and rifling look good and it has a bent bolt handle. So I guess I will be looking for or building a scope mount, and a Monte Carlo type stock to finish it up. It has almost no blueing left on it and there are no matching numbers. It appears to be a 1907 receiver. I put a few dozen rounds through it and it seems to be quite accurate, although the magazine floor plate won't stay latched.
i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_sporter2.jpg

i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_sporter1.jpg

It will be awhile before it gets finished as I already have a custom shotgun project to finish and a truck to paint first. If any of you have a stock or good scope mount (not a scout scope type) that you would get rid of let me know.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never actually sporterized one but I do own one that has been. Actually, there is very little left of the original so I'd say that it a "built" rifle. It's a Husqvarna M38 that has been rebarreled but still in the original 6.5x55.

That little Mosin looks like it would be fun. I wouldn't mind owning one like that but couldn't bring myself to actually cut one.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i cut the stock down on a $40 turk mauser once but that was all. gave it to a friend to plink with. actually in the process of trying to get it back.
i do have a 303 brit that was semi-sporterized by the impoerter.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, I took a gunsmithing class that turned out to be a "build your deer rifle from turk mauser" class. I bought one of the ~$50 Turkish Mausers and converted it to my primary deer rifle in .308.
Bought stock/barrel from Midway with an inexpensive scope........ Shortly after, I bought another Turk Mauser just to have.....

Good experience, but I don't think I would want to mess up an old "warhorse" again....

I have been getting the itch to pull out the C&R and pop for a K31, but there would just be another caliber I would have to justify to my "off base commander".....

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, p&l, you wouldn't be sporterizing a Mosin, you'd be sporterizing a sporterized Mosin, which would be forgiveable.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the early 60,s i bought a 1917 endfield made by winchester from montgumery wards for $29.00 . sawed the ears off the rear sight,ground the rear receiver ring to a radias . Cut the floor plate & welded it stright, put a cherry wood stock on it, shorted the barrel. And still ended up with a 9 # 30 06. that gun wood have been worth hundreds these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom