How much below MSRP should one expect to buy a new Pick-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this today.

IMG_8036.jpeg
IMG_8037.jpeg

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I help buy cars for my family and some of my friends. This is what I tell them now.
1. Shop online. Print, or screen shot the online prices and call them to commit to that price on the phone.
Don't go to the lot to look. Make them work to get you to the lot and stand firm on what you will pay.

2. Don't tell them that you plan on trading in. Wait and tell them after the price is firm on the truck.
Get buy offers on your trade, before you go. Carmax, Carvana, others. Make them at least match, or don't let them have it.

3. Do not tell them that you have a down payment, or how much. They don't need to know until it's time to make the actual transaction.

4. When they ask you about financing, just tell them that you are not worried about that, just want the price of the truck.

5. Don't give them your SS#, or let them do a credit check. No, they don't have to.

6. Make sure that you have your own bank financing lined up. Make them beat your bank. Most dealerships will add 2% to the interest rate to make even more money off of you. This is why you do not talk financing.

You can take this or leave it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Biggsly has summed it up pretty well! If you will take his advice and approach every deal with the willingness to “walk away “ no matter how much you want that vehicle, you will never go wrong.
Unless, of course, you just don’t know how to pick good vehicles. That’s on you! 😁

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a bad experience at a well known dealership in Edmond recently. Hated to 86 them but they did several things that didn't set well. What they did right:

1) Allowed me a Test Drive,
2) Allowed me to drive the vehicle home to see what my wife thought comfort wise.
3) Allowed me to measure several vehicles with configurations a bit different from the one I wanted but they claimed they could get.

Even though I drive most of the time my wife wanted several things, she didn't want a brown and black interior, she wanted blue and gray. However she didn't object to the brown and black after seeing it in person. Good move to let me take it home and I would have bought one with that interior and even our third choice in color. My wife wanted carpeting, I wanted the V6 and Hard Top Outer Banks Trim level. The dealership had Silver Outer Banks Bronco had on their website in Shawnee a V6, 4 door Silver (We wanted either Azure Gray or Velocity Blue). When I returned the Bronco they pulled two one in Blue or Azure Gray Wildtrack Black Diamonds in Arkansas. Immediately they tried to 4 square me and start negotiating price on vehicles that I would like, but my wife would hate, they both had soft tops (much noisier, the hard top is easily removed and is very quite). I told the salesperson before we talk trade, loans and what I pay monthly I need OTD pricing. I left the dealership and the next day e-mailed him 1st thing in the morning (It was a Friday.)

In the email I actually described several Outer Banks Bronco's they had on their lots that I found, just not and told him I would be happy with any of them, just show me a sticker and quote MSRP.

No response, so later I called at 12:30 and the salesperson said he would call on Saturday Morning I said if they can't get one I want, I would order. Also said he couldn't access his email so send the letter to his yahoo email.

He didn't call Saturday morning, so I called at 1:30 and left a message. Meanwhile at a dealership in Duncan I found A Blue 4 door Outer Banks, V6, better axle ratios, Lux Package, and the Blue and Gray interior, I called and started negotiating with them...

At 5:03 Saturday I got an email from the original sales rep, saying he would call Monday Morning.

The Dealership in Duncan called me back Monday, we discussed OTD price (I was happy, paid less than MSRP when 3 to 6 months ago they wanted 10K over sticker), Credit and Trade. The trade offer was $2,500 lower than my best sale offer, the loan rate was lower than two local banks could offer, and at 4:45 PM they brought the vehicle to my home. The original sales person never called.

Buying a car should not be as big a pain as it is, it should be fun. Have to say check out dealerships outside of OKC. They want your business and will sell you what you want, not try to cram a vehicle you don't want down your throat. Use the internet as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom