How often to change out personal protection ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, the rest of the box was still good. And I do inspect the ammo every month or so, it didn't look funny whatsoever. And my centerfire ammo never sees any sort of cleaner/lubricant. Its interesting that you should mention vibration, though. I do ride a motorcycle consistently, do you think that vibration from that could have any effect on the potency?

I had this issue with .32 ACP ammo in a P32 and I don't ride a motorcyle. I carried this gun in a pocket holster, and hardly ever shot it, so sometimes it would stay loaded up with the same ammo for months at a time. Then on 2 seperate occasions, I fired it at the range with the ammo I had been carrying, and the first round was a squib. It made it out of the barrel, but with a quiet pop. Not a good feeling.

I blamed the ammo at first, but then started questioning other things, as it happened with ammo from 2 different boxes.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be careful. I understand some ranges have rules against rapid fire. I have a safe, rural, private area to change out my ammo so I don't frequent ranges.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ugoleftillgorite said:
, do you think that vibration from that could have any effect on the potency?

vibration will have no effect on your primer or powder. Many companies run their loaded rounds in a vibratory polisher before selling them. Dillon is one company that comes to mind.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I was the one that first mentioned vibration, I should point out that the only ammo that I am certain started squibbing on me due to vibration was paper cased shotgun buckshot loads, not brass-cased ammunition. And even then it bounced around for months before acting up. Paper hulls can be loosened by shock over time, in addition to absorbing moisture and swelling up. Not good for duck hunters either, for those that remember when plastic hulls were new and military brass hulls too expensive.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not every time I go to the range, but at least every 2-3 months I will shoot the ammo I have been carrying just to give me confidence that they will feed and fire like they are supposed to do.

This may be overkill, but I do have to load and unload at least twice every month due to flying with my handgun. This way I don't worry much about the ammo going bad or bullet setback from repeated chambering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom