HXP ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True enough.

What kind of parts were guys buying in bulk that resulted in their most recent moratorium on parts purchases?

Most of the parts from what I understand, but butt plates were a particular target. The CMP's prices aren't THAT good, but good enough that resellers were buying the max of 2 of each part per order, on a daily basis. That also created a lot more paperwork for the CMP, hence the 6 of each part per year limit.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you guys that buy and shoot HXP tried the Prvi garand ammo? I don't mind that the CMP increased their price. The ammo is theirs to do with as they see fit. With that being said, to me it is getting pretty close to not being worth the price when compared to brand new ammo like the Prvi. I'm thinking I may try the Prvi before too long but wondered if you guys may already have experience with it?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you guys that buy and shoot HXP tried the Prvi garand ammo? I don't mind that the CMP increased their price. The ammo is theirs to do with as they see fit. With that being said, to me it is getting pretty close to not being worth the price when compared to brand new ammo like the Prvi. I'm thinking I may try the Prvi before too long but wondered if you guys may already have experience with it?

Not me - I've only tried Lake City and HXP so far, and still have a quantity of the latter, so I haven't yet had to look at the commercial stuff. The CMP forum folks are saying the Prvi is good, though the brass isn't as thick as the military stuff.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've shot a couple hundred rounds of the Privi, and I think it is fine.

I'm primarily a traditional field positions against steel targets kind of shooter, so I'm not someone who is benchresting and handflapping over the group sizes I get. For my purposes, I saw no practical difference in function/accuracy between HXP (any of the years I've shot) and the Garand PPU.

I haven't reloaded the PPU brass yet, but in decapping and cleaning I don't remember any significant difference between it and GI brass.

Unless the PPU comes down more significantly in price, or if I run out of availability of reloading supplies, I won't be buying much of it in the foreseeable future (because of the price relative to HXP or reloading).

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well it sucks if they are running out.

They are indeed running out of HXP ammo, I just ordered 4 cans to add to my other 4 cans and another (my third) M1 Garand. Those are soon going to be in short supply sand it is a good investment. They're going up in value.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are indeed running out of HXP ammo, I just ordered 4 cans to add to my other 4 cans and another (my third) M1 Garand. Those are soon going to be in short supply sand it is a good investment. They're going up in value.

The problem with this ammo as an investment is that the CMP's recent 20% price increase now puts HXP into the neighborhood of commercial Garand-safe ammo, like that now being sold by Prvi. The HXP is no longer the bargain it once was, and its replacement cost is such that there's not much point in buying it any more unless it's simply to continue supporting the CMP. As an investment, it works only if you bought a ton of the ammo back when it was 25 or 28 cents a round. Even then, it's going to be harder to sell it these days when people realize they can get commercial ammo, with better accuracy, for just a few pennies more per round. The HXP's main advantage now is the quality of its brass for reloading - it's thicker than most of the current commercial brass, so it should last through a few more reloads.