I have $1,200 - Help me build a tack-driving 10/22,,,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purchase an off the rack 10/22T (the target model)

use your remaining $600 to buy a 6-24 scope . You won’t get pro level optics for 6 bills, but should still be able to find a good piece of glass

install scope —-

$1200 gone and the resulting rifle will make your friend happy

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the good thought on making this for my friend,,,
It's a labor of brotherly love for me.

The thing is I did do a lot of research on those Colts,,,
The reason I sold them at that price was because I wanted a quick sale.

52 minutes after posting and the deal was made,,,
I have no regrets at all.

I had the joy of owning them,,,
I certainly didn't lose money on the sale,,,
And both of us are very happy with the transaction.

'nuff said?

Aarond

Nothing to defend as I'm not the one that sold well below value and then got tight on budget because of it, so sure, I guess it's "'nuff said"... just seeing someone spend weeks days/weeks posting multiple times and then over analyzing a budget after losing hundreds due to poor pricing is a bummer as you now try to now pinch pennies because you only have $1200 instead of ~$1800+ which would have likely still sold same day.

Either way, enjoy the process of the 10/22 build. Super easy and literally legos of the gun world. I think a take-down 10/22 with a BX or Kidd trigger in a WOOX stock with a Leupold on it would be within reach if you shop well and that would be seriously cool IMO.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a wooden pencil for 40 cents.

Sharpen it.

Poke a tight group of holes in the target.

Tell people you did that with your .22

Spend the $1199.60 on other stuff.
I agree, having a $1,200 .22 is like using a spork...looks good but really doesn't work well as a spoon or fork.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could, but I think I'd just as much prefer to get a new barrel. Maybe stainless/fluted/threaded. The steel .920 barrels are HEAVY. It's a "bench" gun for me, but still.

View attachment 443205
Tad over $100 to get a barrel threaded around here. My lathe doesn't have a big enough bore to do a bull barrel, just pencil barrels.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like Hornet triggers for the money, this one comes with an extended mag release which is also fun to have.
Hornet Red Baron

The brownells 10-22 receivers are nice too and kind of a bargain
Brownells rcvr

This small part does a lot for reliability if you get it with the stronger spring. I had one that had some magazine wiggle and wouldn’t feed reliably and this fixed it. Ended up ordering one for all my 10/22s
Mag plunger

I like these bolts too, definitely give it a custom look. They’re nice and polished, run really well too. Their charging handle assembly is nice too but I think I like Volquartsen a little better for about the same money.
JWH Custom

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing to defend as I'm not the one that sold well below value and then got tight on budget because of it, so sure, I guess it's "'nuff said"... just seeing someone spend weeks days/weeks posting multiple times and then over analyzing a budget after losing hundreds due to poor pricing is a bummer as you now try to now pinch pennies because you only have $1200 instead of ~$1800+ which would have likely still sold same day.

Either way, enjoy the process of the 10/22 build. Super easy and literally legos of the gun world. I think a take-down 10/22 with a BX or Kidd trigger in a WOOX stock with a Leupold on it would be within reach if you shop well and that would be seriously cool IMO.
The WOOX stocks are cool, I hadn’t seen them when I was putting mine together or I definitely would’ve had a WOOX on at least one of them.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like Hornet triggers for the money, this one comes with an extended mag release which is also fun to have.
Hornet Red Baron

The brownells 10-22 receivers are nice too and kind of a bargain
Brownells rcvr

This small part does a lot for reliability if you get it with the stronger spring. I had one that had some magazine wiggle and wouldn’t feed reliably and this fixed it. Ended up ordering one for all my 10/22s
Mag plunger

I like these bolts too, definitely give it a custom look. They’re nice and polished, run really well too. Their charging handle assembly is nice too but I think I like Volquartsen a little better for about the same money.
JWH Custom

Thanks for the links my friend,,,
Those bolts are sexy.

Aarond

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could, but I think I'd just as much prefer to get a new barrel. Maybe stainless/fluted/threaded. The steel .920 barrels are HEAVY. It's a "bench" gun for me, but still.

View attachment 443205
That is a nice rifle. I would Start taking weight out of the stock, that is where about half the weight is. Machining some out of the fore end and some out of the butt end will lighten it up a lot.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would Start taking weight out of the stock, that is where about half the weight is.

How would a person do this?

I would think that some judicious use of a drill would work,,,
Take off the butt plate and honeycomb some holes?

This post just made it dawn on me,,,
Why most of those Barracuda style stocks are skeletonized.

It's the weight of that plywood.

I have a rifle with a Boyd's AT-1 stock,,,
The rifle is very heavy but the stock is where most of the weight is.

Hhmmm,,,
Learn something every day.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom