I think my AC may be broken.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A & T Mechanical have always done a great job for me. They replaced my entire system from the rusted upward ducts in the slab to downward ducts from installing the unit in my attic. They even gave me a great price on the installation of solar powered attic vents. I met them at the home show at the fairgrounds. THey were doing free HVAC energy audits for OG&E.

https://www.okatmechanical.com/

THIS... was a big clue!

View attachment 397831
Yeah, when I saw the classic signs of letting the magic smoke escape, I figured that cap was done fer. I used to have a jar of Lucas Service Smoke for the wiring harness on my Triumph, but it got broken in a move, and I haven't been able to find a replacement.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, when I saw the classic signs of letting the magic smoke escape, I figured that cap was done fer. I used to have a jar of Lucas Service Smoke for the wiring harness on my Triumph, but it got broken in a move, and I haven't been able to find a replacement.
I somehow didn’t catch it until I took it off, and then saw the contrast of where the cap was and where the smoke way.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So last night I read this thread and I was like, “that’s good to know”. Woke up this morning and the temp in the house was 76, so I went outside to check the compressor and the condenser fan wasn’t running. So I powered it off and gave it a few minutes and powered it back up no fan still. So I watched the video above and tested my capacitor with a multimeter and it was open across all terminals. Went to Locke Supply and paid $31.00 for a capacitor made in the USA, reinstalled it and the cool air is flowing. Thanks OSA.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So last night I read this thread and I was like, “that’s good to know”. Woke up this morning and the temp in the house was 76, so I went outside to check the compressor and the condenser fan wasn’t running. So I powered it off and gave it a few minutes and powered it back up no fan still. So I watched the video above and tested my capacitor with a multimeter and it was open across all terminals. Went to Locke Supply and paid $31.00 for a capacitor made in the USA, reinstalled it and the cool air is flowing. Thanks OSA.
I wish that would've worked for me. Our compressor overheated and locked up yesterday morning some time. Sprayed water on it for almost an hour to try to cool it off and come unlocked. One side did, but it still isn't working properly. This unit is original to the house from 2005. We were having issues last year and I knew it was just a matter of time.

New unit here we come . . .

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar problem this morning with the well pump at my place - it stopped working, but I didn’t realize it until the cistern ran dry. Was scratching my head trying to figure it out, until I recalled the capacitor had been replaced five years ago. I looked at it, but it‘s a thick-walled job, and it didn’t seem to be damaged. Heck, a new capacitor was $10 from Johnstone, so I swapped it out. Boom, the well pump is working once again.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12-yr parts AND LABOR is really good.

More details please.
Brand/make/seer/tonnage/price-range/etc?
Went with airco. Reducted a 1,600sq ft house. Ran electric and gas to the attics for my furnace. Got a 28 seer Lennox AC with a 98% efficient Lennox furnace. $29,000 was the total package with about $1,500 in rebates. I’m sure I could have gotten a better deal somewhere else. But that warranty really sold me on their package. Cant remember tonnage but I oversized a little for when we do an addition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom