In the market for an 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The action on the SPX is 10 times better, plus I prefer where the release is vs the 870. The SPX action is a rotating bolt, and almost identical to the 1200/1300 action. You did good.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DON'T get a new one. I got the 870 Express about 3 years ago from Academy. Synthetic grey stock. Remmington went cheap on the build, the trigger guard is plastic and feels breakable. The worst thing is that it would stick shut after every 4-5 shells and I'd have to fight to get it to finally eject. Someone told me the barrel needed "honed". Needing work done on a new gun is stupid. I just shot the hell out of it until it no longer jams stuck. Took over 200 shells, I'd guess. I wish now I'd gotten the Mossberg, they have dual extractors and can handle all 3 shells sizes. I just got suckered by the 870 "mystique". If you want an 870, get an older one that's made of metal and was assembled back when quality control was a priority. I shoulda took mine back when i could.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best deal I've ever gotten on an 870 was from Sports World. They had a dealer display for $209. Other than that, whatever your local dealer, big box store or even Wal-Mart has in stock is your best bet. Buy new! That way you know it hasn't been tinkered with and it will come with a Remington factory lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom